One of the easiest ways to make gorgeous homemade ornaments is to use clear plastic ornaments or clear glass ornaments that are fillable ornaments. This list contains our favorite ways to fill clear ornaments to make homemade Christmas ornaments at home or in the classroom with kids of all ages. Filled ornaments also make great handmade gifts.
This article contains affiliate links.
Favorite Ways to Fill Clear Ornaments
If you want to make homemade ornaments, filling clear plastic balls is easy enough for kids to help and the results are a stunning Christmas ornament to hang on your Christmas tree or give as a handmade gift.
When we first wrote about using clear ornaments as the foundation of an ornament craft, only clear glass ornaments were available. Thankfully, many versions of clear plastic ornaments have come to market making these ways to fill clear ornaments perfect for even younger kids.
DIY Clear Ornaments Ideas
1. DIY North Pole Ornament
Create a Scene-scape inside a clear ornament. Use a straw and a snowman charm to re-create the North Pole with this sweet idea from Tatertots and Jello!
2. Clear Ornament Painted on the Inside Craft
Paint the inside of your clear plastic ornament red, and then add Elmo’s face to create a fun Elmo Ornament with this tutorial from Crazy Little Projects!
3. Neon Swirl Idea for Clear Glass Ornament
The VSCO girl on your list will adore I Love to Create‘s fun Neon Glitter Ornament! You can use glow in the dark paint behind the glitter to add a glow.
4. Disco Ball Ornament Craft for Older Kids
Make a Disco Ball Ornament by gluing bits of a broken CD to the outside of clear glass ornament balls. This idea, from Creme de la Craft, isn’t just for Christmas! They can also be used to create a stunning centerpiece to leave out, year-round!
5. Photo Inside a Clear Ornament Craft
Create a time capsule of sorts by filling clear ornaments with a current family photo, along with a couple items to remember the year. What a fun craft from Fynes Designs!
6. Fillable Ornaments That Look Like Marbles
This was the original idea for using clear glass ornaments for crafts many years ago here at Kids Activities Blog! We used a marble and some paint to create the coolest clear Christmas ornaments.
7. Beach in a Clear Ornament Idea
Grab your favorite shape of a clear plastic ornament and fill it with kinetic sand. Your kids will love to fill ornaments with the sand, and then dump it out and play with it after the holidays! This is also a cute way to “gift wrap” kinetic sand to the kiddos on your list!
8. DIY Clear Ornaments Using Rubber Band Bracelets
My daughter loves wearing these rainbow loom bracelets. What a fun way to decorate the tree, and then Christmas morning, kids can dig the bracelets out of the ornament to wear, with this creative idea from Dobleufa.
9. Eye Spy Clear Ornament Idea
10. Water Color Paints Transform Clear Ornaments
We are loving this idea from By Stephanie Lynn! Use alcohol ink to dye ornaments into a gorgeous mottled look. (Link unavailable)
11. Neon Puffy Paint Ornament Crafts
12. Make Your Clear Ornament a Terrarium
Related: How to make a terrarium
13. Oil Diffusing Ornament Crafts
14. Make Your Own Ornament That Smells Good
Give the gift of a soak in the tub this Christmas! Fill an ornament with Epsom Salt , and add a touch of your favorite essential oils. If you really want to get fancy, add a drop of food dye to color the ball!
Simple DIY Ornament Ideas Using Clear Balls
15. Clear Plastic Ornament Snowman Craft
16. Hot Cocoa Glass Fillable Ornaments
Looking for the perfect gift idea for a neighbor? Try out Sprinkle Some Fun‘s idea to fill a clear glass ornament with hot chocolate! Layer hot chocolate mix, sprinkles, crushed candy canes, and mini-marshmallows for a fun treat. Be sure to seal it and drink before the season is over, though!
17. DIY Washi Tape on Clear Ornaments
Wrap Washi tape around your ornament! The easiest ornament your kids will ever make!
18. Glitter Glass Ornament Balls
All you need is glue and glitter to make Brittany Makes’ Zentangle Scribbled Ornament. (Link unavailable)
Ideas to Fill Plastic Ornaments
19. Rainbow Loom Fillable Ornaments
Fill your ornament with rubber band bracelets, and gift it to a kiddo! Extra points if they glow in the dark! Include a kit so your kids can make their own band bracelets and rubber band charms over winter break!
20. Sprinkle Filled Plastic Christmas Ornaments
Ice cream is fun, but ice cream with toppings is even better. Gift an ornament filled with ice cream topping treats for your kiddos! This is such a cute thing for the family elf to bring!
21. Custom Letter Clear Ornament Ideas
Use vinyl letters to write a message on your ornament, and then fill it with glitter with this cute idea from Let It Snow and Brit + Co! How cute would it be to use this method to make a Mr. & Mrs. 1st Christmas ornament for the newlyweds on your list?!
22. Santas Belly Clear Ornament Decoration
Related: Homemade ornaments
Clear Ornaments We Love
Here are some of the most popular (and fun!) fill ornaments in both glass and plastic form. If you have little ones that aren’t ready for glass, there are several great plastic options to use!
1. Flattened Clear Round Ornament
These clear glass ornaments that were turned into snowflakes, filled with glitter, with ribbons and snowmen, are just such a class look and I love them!
I am loving the snowflakes and even LED candles in these ornaments. These plastic ornaments are still clear ornaments, but they open up from the side allowing bigger things inside them.
2. Clear Christmas Light Ornaments
These clear glass ornaments look like Christmas lights! I think it would be fun to just add paint to them, especially neon paint, or even a lot of glitter!
3. Clear Star Ornaments
I love these star ones. They’re so cute and kids will love them. Plus, I think it would be so much fun to fill them with: pink, purple, blue, and black paint and add lots of sparkles. Then they’ll have a galaxy feel to them.
What Can I Fill Ornaments With?
The possibilities are endless when it comes to fillable clear ornaments.
Keepsake Clear Ornament Ball
My favorite ornament are clear plastic balls that I filled with the knit hat my daughter wore home from the hospital, and her little hospital bracelet. This keepsake ornament always goes close to the top of the tree, because she is the most precious gift I have ever received.
Time Capsule Clear Ornament
Think about making a clear ornament time capsule each Christmas that includes the year and some memories about that year. What fun it is each year to unpack the Christmas ornaments when trimming the tree to find these little capsules of time.
More Ideas to Fill Clear Ornaments
- Fold a silk flower, and stuff it into an ornament. These look really cool on the tree!
- Add glitter to a glass ornament to add some glam!
- Fill an ornament fit for a seamstress or sewing fan with buttons, thread, ribbon, and cute pins! (Make sure to seal this one really well so that it remains safe and unopened).
- Cover an ornament with lots and lots of tiny bows with this idea from All Thing G&D. This is easy enough that your kids can create it, and it looks cool!
More Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Make
- Make this cute handprint Christmas ornament
- These printable Christmas ornaments are full of holiday cheer
- These pipe cleaner Christmas ornaments are easy and fun!
- One of our favorite homemade ornament ideas is to make popsicle stick ornaments
- Make this cute ugly Christmas sweater ornament
- Make a salt dough ornament!
- Make an ornament kit to give as a sweet gift.
- Natural ornaments are fun because they start with a nature scavenger hunt
- Oh so easy…DIY snowflake ornaments made out of q-tips!
- Make these cute tin foil ornament crafts
- Make popsicle stick snowflake ornaments
- Love these Christmas ornament crafts for kids
- Have you tried making this snowflake ornament craft?
What is your favorite way to fill clear ornaments?