Kids of all ages will love competing to see who can create the ugliest Ugly Christmas Sweater Ornament! Perfect for holiday parties, school, or home, this simple ugly Christmas sweater craft uses simple craft supplies, can be customized as a group Christmas craft and is fun to make at home or in the classroom.
Ugly Christmas Sweater Ornament Craft for Kids
Host an Ugly Sweater Ornaments competition part of your cookie exchange party or Christmas party this year! Make it an ugly ornaments family contest—who can create the ugliest ornaments? Even better, suggest that your family and guests to wear their favorite ugly sweaters to your crafting party, for inspiration!
Related: DIY Christmas ornaments kids can make
You can even turn it into a fun DIY way to label your gifts this year, if your kids make a bunch of them because they make great ugly Christmas sweater gift tags. Use ribbon scraps, leftover beads, paperclips, glitter…anything!
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed for Ugly Sweater Christmas Ornament
Instructions to Make Ugly Christmas Sweater Ornament Craft
After gathering supplies, draw the shape of a sweater onto craft foam (choose any color).
Related: Use our ugly Christmas sweater coloring pages as a sweater template
Alternatively, you could use a piece of paper – like scrapbook or construction paper, but I find that the craft foam holds up better over the years.
The next step is to invite children or party guests to cut out the sweater. Create many of these so children can make all sorts of ugly Christmas sweaters!
Tip: Depending on the age and number of children, you might even want to prep this ahead of time, so that the kids can start decorating, right away.
Use sequins, craft foam, paper, beads, markers, ribbon, or anything else you can find around your house, to decorate the sweaters.
Some ideas include reindeer, candy canes, strings of ornaments, Christmas trees, presents, and Santa’s.
Secure ribbon to the back of the ornament and share with a friend! This is a great way to share the spirit of Christmas with those you love in a playful way.
Finished Ugly Christmas Sweater Craft
These unique and funny Christmas ornament ideas make a great gift or can be attached to a gift as a gift tag that doubles as a Christmas tree decoration. Don’t overlook these funny ornaments for your next silly gift exchange.
See how festive and cheery your ugly Christmas sweater ornament turned out? What fun! Let’s make another…
Another Ugly Christmas Sweater Craft for Kids
- Keep your little ones busy with ugly Christmas sweater play dough from Fireflies and Mud Pies.
- Download & print our ugly Christmas sweater coloring pages
- Colored craft foam
- Glue Dots or hot glue gun
- Draw the shape of a sweater onto craft foam or use the sweater template to draw around.
- With scissors, cut out the sweater shape.
- Decorate your sweater with all the bling of an ugly Christmas sweater!
- Add a loop of ribbon by gluing it on the back of the sweater neck to use as an ornament hanger.
Why is it Called an "Ugly Christmas Sweater"?
So, ugly Christmas sweaters are basically the holiday version of fashion disasters. They’re those garish, loud, and totally tacky sweaters that are totally meant to be ugly. Think clashing patterns, neon colors, and cheesy holiday themes. They first became a thing in the 80s and 90s as a way for people to have a laugh at holiday parties and events. And somehow, they’ve stuck around and become a beloved part of holiday culture. Even though they’re totally unsightly, people wear them as a way to celebrate the season in a playful and tongue-in-cheek way. So basically, ugly Christmas sweaters are the ultimate holiday fashion fail… and we love ’em for it.
What are the Rules for an Ugly Christmas Sweater?
So, if you’re planning on rockin’ an ugly Christmas sweater this holiday season, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t take yourself too seriously: Ugly Christmas sweaters are all about having a good time and celebrating the holiday season in a lighthearted and playful way, so make sure you wear yours with a sense of humor.
- Get creative: There are no set rules when it comes to ugly Christmas sweater design, so feel free to get creative and come up with your own unique and eye-catching look.
- Dress appropriately: While ugly Christmas sweaters can be a fun and festive addition to your holiday attire, it’s still important to dress appropriately for the occasion. If you’re heading to a fancy holiday party, you might want to save the ugly sweater for a more casual gathering.
- Have fun: The most important rule for wearing an ugly Christmas sweater is to have fun and embrace the holiday spirit. So go ahead and show off your inner ugly sweater enthusiast and spread some cheer!
When is National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day?
The third Friday of December is National Ugly Christmas sweater Day.
MORE HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- If you loved this DIY popsicle stick ornament, then you definitely won’t want to miss this awesome list of Christmas ornaments kids can make!
- We have over 100 Christmas crafts kids can make that come straight from the North Pole.
- Homemade ornaments have never been easier…clear ornament ideas!
- Turn kids artwork into ornaments to give or decorate for the holidays.
- Easy salt dough ornament you can make.
- Pipe cleaner Christmas crafts turn into ornaments to hang on the Christmas tree.
- One of our favorite painted Christmas ornaments starts with clear glass ornaments.
- Make a toilet roll reindeer 3 different ways!
How did you decorate your ugly Christmas sweater ornament?