Making Q Tip Snowflakes is a 5 minute or less, simple Christmas ornament craft idea for kids of all ages. These DIY snowflake ornaments use just 3 craft supplies: Q Tips, glue and string. Kids can easily make these delightful homemade snowflakes to hang on the Christmas tree or anywhere you want falling snow! This Q Tip snowflake craft works well at home or in the classroom.
Q Tip Snowflake Ornament Craft
Let’s make Q-Tip Snowflakes! These homemade snowflake ornaments are easy, fun. Q Tip Snowflakes don’t have to hang on your holiday tree. They look lovely hung from a classroom ceiling or in your home window.
Related: Popsicle stick ornaments kids can make
This is a great snowflake craft to make with kids on snowy afternoons while sipping hot cocoa. Kids will get a kick out of making ornaments with something normally found in the bathroom medicine cabinet! We use cotton swabs every day, yet it had never occurred to me how cute they would be bunched together and glued. Genius Q Tip craft idea!
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed for Snowflake Ornament Craft
Directions to Make Snowflakes out of Q Tips
After gathering supplies, invite kids to build their snowflakes.
Snowflakes have 6 sides, but of course kids could add more if they desire to do so. That is why we used just 3 cotton swabs to make our Q Tip Snowflakes…but you could try more.
The first step is to grab two cotton swabs and cross them over each other to start the snowflake shape.
Next, add the third cotton swab crossing over the other two and you have a snowflake shape.
Secure the Q Tips in place with glue dots or hot glue. It’s difficult to make this ornament using wet glue, so I recommend using hot glue or adhesive Glue Dots.
Finally, add string to allow your cotton swab snowflake to hang easily.
How We Used these Cute Q Tip Snowflake Ornaments
If you are making a homemade ornament and wanting to hang these snowflakes from your Christmas tree, add a loop of string at the end of one of the cotton swab ends. We used a loop of red and white striped butcher’s twine.
If you want to hang them from the ceiling or in a window, use string or fishing line attached directly to the end of a cotton swab.
Related: The best Christmas crafts for kids! <–Over 250 to choose from.
These ornaments look very beautiful hanging in clusters from the Christmas tree. From a distance, you can’t even tell they are made from Q-Tips!
Hang and enjoy!
More Snowflake Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Grab our free printable snowflake coloring page
- Make glow in the dark snowflakes with this fun and easy kids craft with printable template.
- Another fun idea is to make tin foil snowflakes — see how we love using things you already have at home?
- This is part of a whole bunch of quick & easy crafts that you can find just like this one on how to make a snowflake in 5 minutes or less.
- Hot glue or glue dots
- Gather your supplies.
- Grab 3 Q Tips.
- Arrange them in a snowflake pattern.
- Use glue/glue dots to secure.
- Add string to hang or create holiday ornament.
Our suggestion is to use 3 Q Tips for each snowflake, but as we all know each snowflake is unique and different...so try different numbers to make your snowflake.
More Homemade Ornaments from Kids Activities Blog
- Make this cute handprint ornament!
- Clear ornament ideas — what to fill those plastic and glass balls!
- Kid-made easy painted clear ornaments art.
- Cute and easy no-sew fabric ornaments you can make.
- Pipe cleaner Christmas crafts including the cutest ornaments!
- Christmas ornament crafts for kids <–BIG LIST
- Make the coolest natural ornaments with outdoor found objects
- FREE Printable Kids Christmas Ornaments
- Salt dough handprint ornaments you can make – this one is a nativity scene.
- Make your own ugly sweater ornament perfect for your Christmas tree!
- These homemade Christmas ornaments will make your artificial tree smell real!
- Check out these fun and easy paper snowflake patterns!
- There are so many amazing homemade ornaments you can make with your kids
How did your Q Tip Snowflakes turn out?