This simple craft idea for Halloween turns craft bird houses into spooky haunted houses with a little paint. This haunted house craft is perfect for kids of all ages and easily modified for different levels. Have fun making this cute haunted house craft at home or in the classroom. All you need for this craft activity are some simple supplies!
Mini Haunted House Craft for Kids
This simple and affordable Halloween craft isn’t just fun to make, it’s also a super cute decoration. I think I want to make a whole bunch of them and have an entire mini haunted village on my mantle.
These mini haunted houses were designed for kids to create, although I must admit I had just as much fun as my preschooler. So I encourage you to get in on the crafty goodness, you and your kiddos are sure to have a spooktacular time!
This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make Decorative Mini Haunted Houses
First paint your whole house black.
Let it dry! While you are waiting you can use up that black paint, creating some spooky paintings on paper.
Now use the white paint to create ghost shapes, spider webs, and spooky eyes peeking out of the darkness.
Once the white paint is dry you can add the final details. Using more black paint or a black marker, add eyes and a mouth to your ghosts.
Now you’re all ready to decorate for Halloween!
Finished Decorative Haunted House Craft
Make one, two, or a whole village worth of creepy mini haunted houses! Your table or mantle will be the spookiest (and cutest) in the land. I hope you have as much fun as we did with this Halloween craft!
How to Make a Mini Haunted House Craft with Kids
It’s easy and luckily this Haunted House craft is great for younger kids and bigger kids. But it’s easy to decorate your own haunted house. You can even add other things to make it your own. Add construction paper monsters, popsicle stick to make a fence, there are so many ways to make a haunted mansion. You can add foam Halloween stickers.
And not only is this haunted house craft great for fine motor skills, but you can use it to explore imaginative play. The friendly ghosts on the house can try to scare away or befriend anyone who comes near like black cats (stuffed animals). Make it extra spooky and add some tea lights nearby for “ghost lights”.
You can even do this Halloween art project to make your own haunted houses while watching a scary movie or reading Halloween children’s books. It’s the perfect activity!
- Mini wooden bird houses
- Black and white tempera paint
- Optional: black permanent marker
- First paint your whole house black.
- Let it dry! While you are waiting you can use up that black paint, creating some spooky paintings on paper.
- Now use the white paint to create ghost shapes, spider webs, and spooky eyes peeking out of the darkness.
- Once the white paint is dry you can add the final details. Using more black paint or a black marker, add eyes and a mouth to your ghosts.
- Now you’re all ready to decorate for Halloween!
More Halloween Craft Ideas From Kids Activities Blog
- Have a spooky good time with these adorable little ghost finger puppets.
- Halloween isn’t just for little kids. Check out these teen Halloween crafts!
- We do have plenty of Halloween crafts kindergarten kids will love too.
- You’ll want to make these cat crafts for toddlers right “meow.”
- Don’t be scared while trick or treating with this Halloween night light.
- Get batty with these bats arts and crafts.
- Get creative with these spooky Halloween crafts!
- This Halloween soap craft is a great alternative for candy.
- Halloween decor doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. These dollar store Halloween crafts will help you save a ton of money.
- Need more decor? Try out these homemade Halloween decorations!
- Don’t let Halloween stress you out. We have a list of Halloween hacks to make your life easier.
- Keep your little ones busy with these Halloween ideas for kids.
- These Halloween experiments will help fuel your child’s love for science.
- These Halloween eyeball decorations are creepy and cool all at once and we love them.
- These diy Halloween luminaries are our favorite crafts by far!
- Recycle your toilet paper rolls with these Halloween cats crafts.
How did your decorative mini haunted house crafts turn out?