Halloween luminaries are great to light up the Halloween night! Make them cute, make them creepy, all of them are perfect for a spooky craft! I absolutely love Halloween, and making Halloween lanterns and luminaries is something I try to do every year. You can certainly make lanterns any time of year.
These are so unique and some of my favorite Halloween décor. Whether you’re making your own Halloween night light, home décor, or are decorating your porch and driveway, these Halloween luminaries are sure to cause your little ones to squeal with delight!
There are all sorts of materials that can serve as lanterns or luminaries. Can you think of anything around your house that could light up the night?
This post has affiliate links.
Recommended Supplies For Halloween Luminaries
- Glass and plastic jars
- Paper bags
- Small pumpkins
- Tin cans
- Plastic jugs and bottles
- Baby food jars
- Paper cups
Safety note: instead of candles, try LED tea lights, which make a great alternative to real flames!
Halloween Luminaries to Light Up the Night
From mason jars, to spray paint on the outside of the jar, to string lights, to fairy lights, you can make your own Halloween lantern either for yourself of even a Halloween party.
There are so many great ideas to make this Halloween season light up with different colors of light. We have so many Halloween lantern ideas, I’m sure you’ll find one you love!
Jars, Bottles, Cups & Cans Halloween Lanterns
1. DIY Halloween Night Light
This DIY Halloween night light is made from an old Ovaltine container! So cool. from Kids Activities Blog
2. Colorful Skull Luminaries
Crafts by Amanda shares these cool Colorful Skull Luminaries.
3. Halloween Painted Jar Luminaries
These Halloween Painted Jar Luminaries have been circulating the web since 2009. via Crafts by Amanda.
4. Gauze Mummy Luminary
Fun Family Crafts shared this cute Gauze Mummy Luminary.
5. Candy Corn Bottle Luminaries
Saved by Love Creations turned empty bottles into these Candy Corn Bottle Luminaries.
6. Halloween Baby Jar Luminaries
Polymer Clay shares these darling Small Jar Luminaries!
7. Halloween Plastic Bottle Luminaries
Fave Crafts shares how to make these Plastic Bottle Luminaries from recycled items.
8. Glowing Ghost Luminaries
We love these super simple Glowing Ghost Luminaries from Fun Family Crafts. Loving these spooky fun Halloween lanterns.
9. Plastic Cup Jack-o’-lantern Luminaries
Happy DIYing turned ordinary tableware into these Plastic Cup Luminaries.
10. Tin Can Halloween Luminaries
This Old House provides a detailed tutorial for making Tin Can Luminaries.
11. Mummy Jar Luminary
Kids will love this adorable Mummy Jar Luminary from Shared.
12. Black Tin Can Lanterns
By painting her cans black, Jolly Mom turned a classic into these Black Tin Can Lanterns.
13. Flying Witch Lantern
This Flying Witch Lantern is explained over at Making Lemonade
14. Spooky Milk Jug Lanterns
Hope you’ve been saving your milk jugs because these Milk Jug Lanterns from Making Memories with Your Kids are a must.
15. Painted Ghost Luminaries
Crafts by Amanda shares her Ghost Luminaries from painted jars.
Pumpkins & Jack O’Lanterns Halloween Lanterns
16. Mason Jar Pumpkin Lantern
This mason jar pumpkin from Love and Marriage is perfect for little crafters. It is so easy and fun! I love these Halloween mason jar lanterns.
17. Paper Pumpkin Luminary
I love the way this Paper Pumpkin Luminary glows! Via Smile Mercantile.
18. Wax Paper Pumpkin Luminary
100 Directions explains how to turn one of those cute little pumpkins into this darling Wax Paper Pumpkin Luminary.
19. Drilled Pumpkins Lanterns
The Garden Glove shares how to make Drilled Pumpkins for your porch. What a great Halloween lantern.
20. Paper Mache Paper Pumpkin Lanterns
Head over to Red Ted Art and make some darling Paper Mache Tissue Paper Pumpkin Lanterns.
21. Jack-O-Lantern Luminaries
Also over at Red Ted Art you’ll find these Jack-O-Lantern Luminaries.
22. Tissue Paper Jack-O-Lantern Jars
Pinterest has a great tutorial for making these Tissue Paper Jack O Lantern Jars.
Paper, Vellum & Paper Bags Halloween Lanterns
23. Black Paper Lanterns
I love the spooky feel these Black Paper Lanterns from The Paper Millstore give off!
24. Colorful LED Light Luminaries
I spotted these gorgeous Colorful LED Light Luminaries over at Halloween Forum. This Halloween lantern is so great!
25. Printable Vellum Luminaries
Use any printable you like, or these ones shared by Kimberly Crawford to make these Printable Vellum Luminaries.
26. Printable Paper Luminaries
Vellum isn’t the only thing that you can use! Check out these Printable Paper Luminaries from Not Just Decorating.
27. Simple Stenciled Paper Bag Luminaries
Make Simple Stenciled Paper Bag Luminaries from paper bags. via Modern Parents Messy Kids
28. Paper Bag Leaf Lanterns
River Blissed shows you how to make these beautiful Paper Bag Leaf Lanterns.
29. Spider Web Luminaries
If you head over to Aunt Peaches she’ll show you how to make Spider Web Luminaries.
Unique & Quirky Halloween Lanterns
30. Melted Bead Luminaries
Remember those melted bead sun catchers? Make some Melted Bead Luminaries too, via Sarah vs. Sarah.
31. Skeleton Hand Luminaries
These spooky Skeleton Hands glow in the night from Formal Fringe.
32. Cheese Grater Pumpkin Luminaries
Who would have thought?? Katie Did It – she made cool Cheese Grater Pumpkin Luminaries. Love these cheese grater Halloween lanterns.
MORE HALLOWEEN CRAFTS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG:
- Use fake eyeballs to make another Halloween lantern.
- You can make a Halloween night light as well.
- Don’t forget to check out these jack o lantern luminaries too.
- We have some spider crafts for toddlers too!
- Check out these Mummy Pudding Cups!
- Don’t forget about these SWAMP CREATURE PUDDING CUPS.
- And these WITCH PUDDING CUPS are also a great edible craft.
- Create a monster of a craft or snack with these awesome Frankenstein crafts and recipes.
- Enjoy a frightful lunch with these haunting Halloween lunch ideas.
- These Halloween pumpkin stencils will help you make the perfect jack-o-lantern!
- Make your morning more enchanting with these 13 Halloween breakfast ideas!
- I love all of these Frankenstein crafts!
- Learn Halloween safety for kids!
- How do you prevent scared kids on Halloween?
Which Halloween luminary will you be making? Let us know down below!