One-Pan Chicken a-la-King Recipe is so easy to make that it will become part of your weekly dinner rotation. This classic chicken recipe is rich, creamy, and delicious. With mushrooms, pimentos, and peas in a creamy sauce, it goes perfectly aside any side dish.
An Easy and Comforting Family Dinner
There’s something about meals that has a flavorful and creamy sauce. It’s a great way to enjoy vegetables, especially if you aren’t the biggest fan. This is why it’s the best choice for kids! Any meal that is easy to make, saves time and dishes, AND my kiddos will enjoy is a win. One-pan dinners are always at the top of my list of favorites.
Related: Simple Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner
What is Chicken a-la-King?
Although there is no real information about this recipe’s origin, it has been around for centuries. Chicken a la King translates to “chicken in the style of a king” and is made of chopped chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce traditionally served over egg noodles, rice, pasta, or biscuits.
It is traditionally made with chicken but some variations use tuna or turkey as a substitute.
How to Make Chicken ala King
This is a very easy recipe that is made with veggies cooked in butter, a traditional roux, and seasonings. All of the ingredients are simmered together to thicken and deepen the flavor of the sauce. It makes your kitchen smell so good. Trust me, when my little ones pop their heads in to ask what the smell is, you know dinner is going to be delicious.
Ingredients Needed to Make This Chicken a-la-King Recipe
- butter – Unsalted is best for this recipe.
- green bell pepper – This needs to be chopped but the pieces don’t need to be really small.
- yellow onion – This requires fine dicing.
- fresh mushrooms – These only need to be sliced.
- black pepper
- all-purpose flour
- milk – Whole or 2% are the best options.
- chicken stock or broth
- cooked chicken – Chopped or shredded will work.
- diced pimentos – Drain the liquid before adding.
- frozen peas
Directions For Chicken a-la-King
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add green peppers and onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until tender. Then, add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Slowly sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir constantly to make a roux. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Pour in chicken stock and stir constantly until combined. Then, pour in the milk and stir until combined as well.
Tip: There shouldn’t be any lumps of flour.
Stir in chicken, pimentos, and peas. Cook until heated through and this should take 3-4 minutes.
Serve with your choice of side immediately and enjoy!
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Types of Chicken
This easy chicken a la king recipe calls for cooked chicken. Here is what you can use!
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Frozen chicken breasts, thawed, cooked and chopped
- Bake or Boil chicken breasts yourself
Can I freeze Chicken A-la-King?
Yes, you can freeze Chicken A-la-King. Simply let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat it, simply thaw it in the refrigerator and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
Is Chicken A-la-King a healthy meal option?
While Chicken A-la-King is certainly delicious, it’s not necessarily the healthiest option. The creamy sauce is high in calories and fat, so it’s best to enjoy this dish in moderation and pair it with plenty of fresh vegetables or a side salad to balance it out.
More Easy Chicken Recipes From Kids Activities Blog
- Simple Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner is another easy meal and you don’t have to stand in front of the stove.
- If you like to grill, you’ll love this recipe for Quick Grilled Chicken Kabobs which includes juicy chicken and tender vegetables.
- Versatile recipes are always a good staple including Easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken which can be enjoyed with your favorite side or on a sandwich.
- Easy Southwest Chicken One Pot Pasta is a great alternative to taco night that is super simple and yummy.
- Love creamy sauces? This Quick and Easy Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe is a crowd favorite packed full of flavor and cheese!
- You have to try this air fryer fried chicken recipe, it is soooo good.
Did your family love this recipe as much as we do? Let us know in the comments!
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced small
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 jar (2 oz) diced pimentos, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Biscuits, large flakey
- Melt butter in large skillet
- Add green peppers and onions and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook to make a roux, about 2-3 minutes
- Slowly pour chicken stock into skillet, stirring constantly
- Then slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly
- Stir in chicken, pimentos and peas
- Continue cooking until heated through, about 3-4 minutes
- Serve immediately with biscuits, rice or noodles
- Store leftovers in refrigerator
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 27g