This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe made in a Crock Pot was originally posted on She is Dallas by a contributor. It has been so popular at my house, that I thought we should share it officially on Kids Activities Blog!
So here it goes…
This is so easy to make and also very delicious. I generally serve the soup and then the next night we make chicken tacos out of it. I originally obtained this recipe years ago and have adapted it and changed it to fit our liking!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- 4 Chicken Breast (thawed is best, but you can put in frozen)
- One 14oz box of chicken broth. I use low sodium because I add sea salt.
- 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes (if you like spice or flavor, get the ones with garlic, onion, peppers, etc.)
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup of Salsa of your choice (depending on your spice preference; I love Herdez Salsa Casera)
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 2 Garlic Cloves halved or chopped
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Instructions:
- Turn crock-pot on high and complete first to steps while gathering ingredients.
- Pour olive oil in bottom of crock-pot
- Add chopped or halved garlic
- Once ingredients are gathered and you have completed prepping add chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts inside
- Then add cans of tomatoes and Rotel (DO NOT DRAIN ANY)
- Pour in salsa and cumin
- Add Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to taste or you can wait until end.
- Top with chopped cilantro (I put enough in there to cover surface of liquid)
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, if unattended an additional broth just in case.
- If present, I cook on high for two hours then turn to low for remaining cook time.
I prefer the chicken to be falling apart, basically shredding itself.
Pull chicken apart or dice then add back into soup.
Serve with sour cream, tortilla strips, Monterrey Jack cheese, avocado, black olives and green onions if desired.
This is a very easy and delicious chicken tortilla soup recipe.
* You can also add big chunks of bell pepper and onion towards the end just because I like it. I have added corn, black beans, zucchini and other vegetables as well.
* For vegetarian options, use vegetable broth and omit chicken and chicken broth and amp up the veggies.
More Quick Recipes for Dinner
- One-Pan Sausage and Veggies
- 20 Delicious Crock Pot Soup Recipes
- One-Pan Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Empty-Your-Pantry Casserole
How did you and your family enjoy this easy chicken tortilla soup crock pot? Let us know in the comments below, we’d love to hear! Also, be sure to join us over on our Facebook page.