Let’s make a LEGO scale. Building a LEGO scale is a really easy and fun LEGO stem idea that can be made with bricks you already own! This cool LEGO project ideas that you’ll want to try right now and works well at home or in the classroom for LEGO building aged kids. So go get your LEGO set because we’re about to get started!
LEGO Balance Scale STEM Project
My favorite part about this activity book is that each activity comes with a lesson. The project I am about to show you introduces kids to the science concept of mass versus weight by building a LEGO balance scale.
This post contains affiliate links.
Supplies You Need To Build a LEGO Scale
- 12 — 1 x 6 bricks
- 6 — 1 x 4 bricks
- 4 — 1 x 2 bricks
- 1 — 6 x 12 plate
- 4 — 4 x 6 plates
- 2 — 1 x 16 Technic bricks
- 9 — 2 x 4 bricks
- 2 — 2 x 4 plates
- 1 — 2 x 2 brick with a pin on each side
Direction To Make A Lego Scale
Start by building the pans for the balance.
Place two of the 4 x 6 plates side by side.
Create a perimeter to lock them together using six 1 x 6 bricks, 2 1 x 4 bricks, and 2 1 x 2 bricks.
Repeat with the other plates and bricks so you have two pans.
Next, stack nine 2 x 4 bricks into a tower to create the base of the scale.
Place the 2 x 2 brick with two pins at the top of your tower.
Now, attach the two 1 x 16 Technic bricks to the pins and place a 2 x 4 plate on each end at the top to balance the weight.
Add a 1 x 4 brick beneath the Technic bricks at each end to create an attachment for the pans.
Finally, attach the pans to the scale using the 1 x 4 bricks you placed in the last step.
Now use your LEGO balance scale to try some experiments. Can you balance a set of rocks and marbles? What happens when you move the fulcrum from the middle of the scale to one of the sides? The possibilities are endless!
Awesome Genius LEGO Inventions
This simple project is just one example of the awesome tutorials found in Genius LEGO Inventions. You can purchase Genius LEGO Inventions!
Psst…check out our LEGO build ideas that keep kids doing educational but fun LEGO STEM activities.
More LEGO Activities From Kids Activities Blog:
- LEGOs can also be used for storage. Yes, you read that right! If you need LEGO storage ideas, this Ikea lego storage containers post is right down your alley.
- You can also try this LEGO wall hanger set and LEGO organizational ideas for a cool room decorated with lots of LEGO bricks!
- Add a fun LEGO puzzle to your activities for an engaging LEGO day. In fact, this LEGO calendar is a perfect addition to lego collectors!
- If your kids love space as much as we do, then this LEGO international space station is a must-have! The best part is that you can build this together with your kiddos and spend some family time together.
- To infinity and beyond! Learn How to Make a Jetpack Craft with Recycled Materials
- And of course, a space station needs… spaceships! Learn how to make lego spaceships to make this activity even more exciting for kids.
- Download and print our awesome LEGO coloring pages.
How did your LEGO scale turn out? Let us know in the comments below, we’d love to hear from you.