How to Make Easy Rainbow Scratch Art
We love scratch art! This rainbow scratch art is a fun and traditional kids art project. Making scratch art is easy, and so satisfying to see your scratch art go from black, to rainbow! This scratch art idea is black paper craft is perfect for kids of all ages. Younger kids, preschoolers, even elementary aged kids will love this craft. The best part is making scratch art only requires a few simple art supplies readily available at home or in the classroom.
Easy Scratch Art For Kids
Why is crayon art so great? Because it is a favorite amongst kids. And here is a fantastic craft for all kids since it uses different colored crayons and a black crayon.
Related: Try Making Scratch Art With Crayons
Kids will have an absolute blast learning how to make scratch rainbow art.
Scratch Art Ideas For Beginners
Before you start, think about what you want to make. Want to make colorful zig zags? Shapes? Pictures like dogs and cats? There are so many things to make in scratch rainbow art.
Related: Another crayon drawings art idea for kids
This is a fun way to explore not only colors, but use these scratch art paper ideas to help your child practice fine motor skills and learn geometric shapes and lines.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed To Make Rainbow Scratch Art
- White paper
- Crayons — different colors for the bottom layer, and black for the top
- Paper clip
How To Make Rainbow Scratch Art With Wax Crayons
Video: Rainbow Scratch Art
Prep Step – Suggested Area Preparation
Because this artwork is done all the way to the edge of the paper, it is a good idea to prepare the surface under the art by covering with wax paper, parchment paper or craft paper to allow the mess to go off the page without harming the table.
Step 1- Color Paper With Colorful Lines
Start by creating lines of different colors across the paper. Make sure to fill them in completely so that they are solid.
- Bright colors work best – you want colors that will stand out against the black paint that will be applied in the next step.
- Blocks of color will create an even more beautiful effect for the final picture. We love to use many different color
Step 2- Cover Colorful Lines With Black Crayon
Use the black crayon to color over the top of your lines of rainbow color. You want a solid layer — cover as much as possible.
Alternate Method: When I used to do this as a child, I would cover the entire picture with black paint and that worked great too.
You can still see a bit of the colors peeking through, but that’s alright!
Step 3- Bend A Paper Clip To Make A Straight Edge To Scratch Through The Black Layer
Bend the paper clip to create a straight edge, then use it to scratch through the black layer to reveal the colors below.
So fun, right?!
I remember spending hours making rainbow scratch art in elementary school. This fun process was one of my favorite things to do in art class.
Some Of Our Favorite Scratch Art Projects:
- Match Scratch Art Rainbow Animal Masks
- Scratch Paper Art Set Rainbow Cards
- Scratch Art Books For Kids Scratch Art Paper
- Rainbow Mini Notes With Wooden Stylus
- Rainbow Scratch Art Doodle Pad
Rainbow Scratch Art
This rainbow scratch art is a fun and traditional project. It's easy, and so satisfying to see your scratch art go from black, to rainbow! This scratch art black paper craft is perfect for kids of all ages. Younger kids, preschoolers, even elementary aged kids will love this craft. The best part is, it only requires a few simple art supplies. Most will be readily available at home or in the classroom.
- White paper
- Crayons -- different colors for the bottom layer, and black for the top
- Paper clip
- Start by creating lines of different colors across the paper. Make sure to fill them in completely so that they are solid.
- Use the black crayon to color over the top of your lines of rainbow color. You want a solid layer -- cover as much as possible.
- Bend the paper clip to create a straight edge, then use it to scratch through the black layer to reveal the colors below.
MORE EASY ART PROJECTS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
What is your child’s favorite type of crayon art? Wax crayons are so vibrant and easy to use that they make the perfect tool for little artists. For more colorful kids activities, take a look at these great ideas:
- Let’s make bubble art by bubble painting
- Crayon Art for Preschoolers
- Oh so many handprint art ideas for kids of all ages…even little ones!
- 20+ Art Ideas with Wax Crayons
- Fun arts and crafts for kids
- Make sidewalk chalk painting with this fizzy homemade recipe
- Try these outdoor kid art project ideas…oh so much fun!
- Preschoolers love our process art ideas.
- Homemade scratch and sniff paint for kids
- Keep the creativity going with even more rainbow crafts for kids. You know you want to!
- It’s the perfect activity for kids who love to create rainbow crafts!
Did you make crayon scratch art as a child? How did your kids like this scratch art project?