Did you know you can easily make rubber band bracelets and other rubber band jewelry without a rainbow loom? All you need is two pencils and some rubber bands. Kids of all ages can make loom bracelets by making their own DIY rainbow loom!
Rubber Band Bracelets Craft Tutorial Created by Kids
My 7 year old daughter rightfully takes complete credit for this genius example of childhood resourcefulness! Together with a friend at her after school center, they came up with a way for everyone make rainbow loom bracelets and rings together when there weren’t enough looms to go around. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that!
Related: How to make rubber band bracelets with a rainbow loom
Now getting a 7 year old to ‘freeze’ so you can take step by step photos as she is looming is not the easiest task in the world, so please forgive the slight impatient blurs in places!
How to Make Rubber Band Bracelets without a Loom
Follow the step by step guide below with pictures to create your own pencil loom and easily create rubber band bracelets.
You will find that making rainbow loom jewelry this way is very easy for younger kids to get their heads around, the loom can be confusing. This is the easy way to make rubber band bracelets by hand.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to Make Rubber Band Bracelets without Loom
How to Make Rubber Band Bracelet with Pencil Loom
Start by sliding the first band over one of the pencils.
Next make one twist in the band and loop over the second pencil. The band should look like the figure 8.
Slip a second band onto the pencils. (Do not twist.)
Slip a third band onto the pencils and pluck out the lower band on the right.
Pull the band up and over the pencil to snap into the centre of the pencils.
Pull to the right.
Repeat this step on the left.
Keep adding single bands and looping over pencils to see your bracelet or rubber band ring grow in length.
Repeat Until Desired Band Length
These are the core steps of making the rainbow loom strip, to be repeated band by band, looping over the top, until you have the desired length to make a bracelet, ring, necklace, etc.
How to Finish the Rubber Band Jewelry
1. Attach an S or C Clip to the Rubber Bands
When you are happy with the length of your rainbow loom strip, simply slip one side at a time off the pencils and finish with a C or S clip.
2. Join the Ends of the Bracelet or Ring Together
And join the ends together to make your ring, necklace or bracelet.
More Homemade Jewelry for Kids from Kids Activities Blog
- Make DIY slap bracelets at home with these simple jewelry making instructions.
- How about a cute jelly bean bracelet activity?
- Popsicle stick bracelets are part magic and part craft!
- Let’s make a bracelet out of straws.
- How to make the X and O bracelet pattern.
- Make a LEGO bracelet!
- Candy bracelets are fun to make!
- I love this traditional Kindergarten bracelets craft for kids.
- Make a bracelet out of fuzzy sticks.
- Print and decorate these matching best friend bracelets.
- And if you are looking for the best friendship bracelets, check out these string bracelet patterns!
Have you ever made band bracelets without a loom?