Let’s learn some fun facts about George Washington! We all know who was George Washington, the first President of the United States, but how much do we really know about his life and accomplishments? These printable fun facts for kids about George Washington also double as coloring pages and work for kids of all ages at home or in the classroom.
Did you know that George Washington wrote about 18,000 letters in his lifetime? Or that George Washington never attended college? There are so many interesting things about his life, and they’re all in our free George Washington printable fun fact sheets. Click the green button to download now:
Related: Presidents Day facts for kids
11 Interesting Facts about George Washington
- George Washington was the first president of the U.S. and served from 1789 until 1797.
- He was born on February 22, 1732, in Westmoreland County, Virginia, and died on December 14, 1799, in Mount Vernon, Virginia.
- His father died when he was 11, and his older brother Lawrence helped raise him. Washington never attended college, but he was educated in reading, writing, and mathematics.
- During his 20s, he fought as a soldier in the French and Indian War. After the war, he returned to Virginia to work as a farmer.
- When he was 26, Virginians elected him to their colonial legislature.
- As a government official, he spoke out against unfair laws during Great Britain’s rule.
- In 1774 and 1775, he was part of a group of representatives from the 13 colonies that would eventually become the U.S.
- In July 1776, an army was formed to oppose the British, and Washington was elected to lead it, for five years.
- After the end of the war, he was elected as the first-ever president of the U.S.
- George Washington wrote about 18,000 letters in his lifetime – if you wrote one letter per day, that number would take 50 years.
- George Washington was the only president to go into battle while serving as the president.
Free Printable George Washington Facts Coloring Pages
More Patriotic fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Download and print our American flag coloring page set or our USA flag coloring pages
- We have over 36 ways how to make a flag – USA style
- DIY your own 4th of July shirt with this easy-to-follow tutorial
- These 4th of July themed chocolate covered strawberries are mouth-watering delicious!
- We have tons of awesome 4th of July activities and goodies for you!
- There is something for everyone in these dozens of red white and blue dessert recipes!
More Fun Facts For Kids From Kids Activities Blog
- Presidents height facts for kids
- Don’t miss our popular fun facts for kids
- Unicorn facts for kids
- Fun facts about rainbows
- Dandelion facts you do not know
- Fun facts about me worksheets for kids
- Here are some Black History Month for kids of all ages
- Check out these 4th of July historical facts that also double as coloring pages
- So many facts about the Johnny Appleseed Story with printable fact pages
- Muhammad Ali facts for kids
- Abraham Lincoln facts you can print
What was your favorite George Washington fact?