I have all kinds of good memories from the 4th of July as a child. Everything about the day is a celebration- the food, the fireworks, the family get-togethers. Fourth of July celebrations can be extra festive by creating these DIY American flag shirts for the kids or the whole family.
How to Make an American Flag T-Shirt for 4th of July
The results are so dramatic!
This post contains affiliate links.
- White T-shirts (cotton seems to work best) – kids shirts can be found here & women’s shirts here & men’s shirts here
- Piece of Cardboard (that will fit inside the t-shirts)
- Masking tape or blue painter tape
- Craft sponge
- Fabric paint in red & blue
- Star stickers
Directions for Making Fourth of July T-Shirt
Place a piece of cardboard in between the two layers of the t-shirt. This will prevent the paint from leaking to the back of the shirt.
Use masking tape to section off the star portion of the flag and to make the white stripes. I did the taping for this shirt myself, but an older child might be able to tape with guidance.
Use a craft sponge to dab on the red stripes. I like the rustic look of dabbing better than regular painting for home painted t-shirts. It makes irregularities look like “character” rather than mistakes. It’s also good for sticker resist painting because it uses less paint; so there is less chance for it to get under the stickers.
After the paint has dried, pull off the tape, and put new tape around the outside of the star section of the flag. This keeps the blue from mixing with the red stripes.
Fill the star section with star stickers, making sure to press down firmly. This way, the paint can’t bleed under them.
Dab with blue paint. Make sure to dab enough paint around the stars so that the star shapes can be sufficiently recognized.
Wait until dry, and then remove stickers and tape. Removing the star stickers is especially fun. It looks like a real flag now!
What an amazing t-shirt for the 4th of July holiday.
Kids love wearing personalized shirts especially when they can help make them.
More Customized T-Shirts from Kids Activities Blog
- We have a fun tie dye 4th of July shirt tutorial you might want to check out as well!
- Make your own Minecraft Creeper t-shirt with this simple step by step guide.
- Make a DIY glue batik t-shirt in the design you desire!
- Make a stamped t-shirt design – it is fun & easy!
- Have you ever made a bleach t-shirt design?
- Create your own t-shirt stencil kit.
- Turn one of our 300+ coloring pages for kids into a t-shirt design from coloring page.
More American Flag Crafts & Food Celebrating the 4th of July
- 30 American flag crafts for kids
- Free American flag coloring pages to download & print
- More free printable American flag coloring pages for kids of all ages.
- 4th of July coloring pages
- Popsicle American flag craft for kids…this is so fun!
- Oh so many red white and blue desserts!
- 4th of July cupcakes…yum!
How did your 4th of July t-shirt turn out with the American flag?