A family time capsule is such a fun way to celebrate the New Year. The time capsule activity makes good use of time together as we reflect on all the fun and memories we had the year before. This is a great family activity for kids of all ages. Let’s make a time capsule!
Time Capsule Ideas for the New Year
It is fun to be working together to put together a family time capsule to remember the memories and things that we don’t want to forget in the coming years.
Our capsule isn’t fancy. We start with decorating an old shoe box. The kids can choose from paint, stickers, and glitter glue – whatever their hearts desire for time capsule decoration!
Once the time capsule box is as beautiful as it can be, we’ll start working on the contents.
This post contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed To Make A Time Capsule
Optional To Decorate Your Time Capsule:
How To Make A Family Time Capsule
Decorate your time capsule box using paint, glue, stickers, tape. Whatever you have on hand. Make it colorful, fun, and memorable!
Gather the things you will want to put in the time capsule box. (See below, we have so many great ideas for you and your family to add to your time capsule box!)
We put those things in plastic baggies to ensure they stay okay. Things happen and we don’t want any of the contents to get messed up.
Once you have all your items in the box, then close the box and secure it with either tape or ribbon.
On the top of the box write today’s date and then write the date you plan to open your time capsule!
What to Put in a Time Capsule
Here are some ideas that you might want to include in a family time capsule that will help tell your story of the year:
- Pictures of each family member
- A list of accomplishments and successes
- Current height and weight
- Favorite things. This list could get really long. Think of favorites such as food, sport, color, school class, song, movie, ice cream flavor, book, TV show, birthday present, best friend, etc.
- Most wonderful memory from this holiday season
- A small memento such as a small toy or other cherished keepsake
- Predictions for the coming year such as how much taller children thing they will grow or for adults, which two teams will make it to the Big Game!
Opening Your Time Capsule
What is really fun about a family time capsule is that we get to open it up again in one year. Next New Year’s Eve we’ll open our time capsule and relive all the wonderful memories and see how our predictions came out.
Why Make A New Years Eve Family Time Capsule?
When you make your own time capsule it’s a great way to see how your future self has changed from the time you made it.
Whether you keep it for a long time for your future selves or keep it for future generations the time capsule contents are the perfect way to remember the past.
Time capsule items are usually kept in a plastic bag in a box until the time of year or opening date. And they have stuff like family photos, ticket subs, small toys, newspaper articles from the local newspaper…
Just anything to preserve the past in a special and memorable way.
- Box with a sturdy lid
- Gallon Sized Plastic Ziploc Bag
- Optional To Decorate Your Time Capsule:
- New Years Stickers
- Stickers For Kids
- Glitter Glue
- Washi Tape
- Printed Duct Tape
- Decorate your time capsule box using paint, glue, stickers, tape. Whatever you have on hand. Make it colorful, fun, and memorable!
- Gather the things you will want to put in the time capsule box. (See below, we have so many great ideas for you and your family to add to your time capsule box!)
- We put those things in plastic baggies to ensure they stay okay. Things happen and we don’t want any of the contents to get messed up.
- Once you have all your items in the box, then close the box and secure it with either tape or ribbon.
- On the top of the box write today’s date and then write the date you plan to open your time capsule!
MORE NEW YEARS EVE FUN FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG:
- We love these New Year Activities for kids and families!
- Can you crack this New Years Eve code?
- Here is a great list of New Years Eve printables.
- You also will want to check out this New Years Eve printable pack.
- Here is how you can make memories with your kids this New Years Eve.
- Throwing a New Years Eve party? We can help!
- Can’t go out for fireworks? Make your own fireworks!
- And don’t forget the NYE party snacks for kids…we have you covered there!
What do you put in your time capsule?