Here at Kids Activities Blog we are obsessed with fun facts for kids and today we have facts about Thanksgiving that you don’t want to miss. Learn the fun Thanksgiving facts and then print off the Thanksgiving facts activity sheet! Kids of all ages can have fun with these interesting facts about Thanksgiving at home or in the classroom.
Fun Thanksgiving Facts For Kids
We like Thanksgiving so much, that we created these interesting Thanksgiving facts printable that you can print out as either a full-color sheet to read wherever you are, or the black and white version that doubles as Thanksgiving coloring pages. Download the fun facts sheet by clicking the orange button:
12 Interesting Facts About Thanksgiving
- The very first Thanksgiving was celebrated in the autumn of 1621.
- Thanksgiving didn’t become a national holiday until over 200 years later!
- Years ago, Thanksgiving was stretched out over 3 days (or more), where people feasted on food, sang and danced around.
- Pilgrims didn’t wear buckled hats.
- The first Thanksgivings didn’t have Turkey – The Pilgrims and Indians ate duck, venison, cod, bread, pumpkins and cranberries.
- During the first celebrations, the Pilgrims didn’t use forks because they weren’t invented yet so they ate with their hands.
- Each year since 1947, the president of the U.S pardons a turkey and it’s sent to happily live on a farm.
- The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade began in 1924 and instead of balloons, it featured live animals from Central Park Zoo.
- The Snoopy balloon has appeared more times in the Macy’s parade more than any other balloon.
- Wild turkeys can run 20 miles per hour when they are scared. So fast!
- There are four towns in the United States named “Turkey.” They can be found in Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, and North Carolina.
- The average number of calories consumed on Thanksgiving is 4,500.
We hope you’ll share some of these fun Thanksgiving facts with your family and friends!
Related: More Thanksgiving for kids
Thanksgiving Fun Fact Activity Pages for Kids
Our Thanksgiving fun fact sheets can be printed two ways. A full color version to make learning more fun and engaging, or a black and white version to color it after the lesson.
Related: Best Thanksgiving coloring pages
Download & Print the Thanksgiving Fun FActs Here
Related: More fun coloring pages for kids & adults
MORE FUN FACTS FOR KIDS
- Rainbow facts for kids
- Cinco de Mayo facts you can print
- Facts about gratitude
- Hurricane facts for kids
- Mount Rushmore Facts
- Dinosaur fun facts
- Titanic facts
- All About Me
- Cat facts for kids
More Thanksgiving fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Oh so many great and entertaining free Thanksgiving printables
- Here’s a great activity to help teach kids gratitude – with free printables!
- More coloring fun with these Thanksgiving doodles!
- Here are books about the story of Thanksgiving
- Here are 30 kid friendly pumpkin activities
- We love these Thanksgiving crafts for toddlers!
- Don’t miss these printable Thanksgiving placemats for kids
What was your favorite Thanksgiving fun fact for kids…did we miss an interesting fact your kids think is great?