Desserts in a mug are my new favorite thing! These 22 Mug Cake Recipes are quick, easy, and make very little mess.
Why you will love these Mug Dessert Recipes
For most of these, everything gets poured and mixed right inside the mug, and then popped in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
If you have a sweet tooth like me, but don’t want to make a big elaborate dessert every time, check out these awesome desserts in a mug.
Grab your baking supplies like chocolate chips, baking powder, almond milk, other dry ingredients like all purpose flour and wet ingredients like coconut milk or soy milk and get to baking!
What you need to make Mug Cakes
1. 12 ounce capacity or larger microwave-safe mug
2. Measuring spoons
3. Fork or whisk
These are the Best Mug Cakes You’ll Make
1. Yummy Caramel Macchiato Cake Recipe
My favorite coffee drink turned into a cake! Check out this yummy Caramel Macchiato Cake recipe from The Novice Chef Blog.
2. Easy Snickerdoodle Cake Recipe
Just a handful of ingredients and you’ve got this delicious Snickerdoodle Cake from Five Heart Home.
3. Flavorful Coffee Mug Cake Recipe
This is the perfect morning snack idea, from Heather Likes Food!
4. Easy Mug Donut Recipe
A fresh donut will start your day off right! Check out the recipe over on Tip Buzz.
5. Awesome Angel Food Cake Recipe
Add some strawberries and you have the perfect Angel Food Cake from Temecula Blogs.
6. Super Easy Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Homemade cinnamon rolls are quite an undertaking. This recipe from A Virtual Vegan will get you a roll in just a few minutes! This is the single-serving dessert you’ve been looking for.
7. Sweet Funfetti Cake Recipe
I love this, it’s one of my favorite mug recipes. This funfetti cake, from The Kitchn, is perfect for an impromptu birthday treat!
Fruity Mug Cakes
8. Sweet Strawberry Pop-Tart Recipe
This is one of the best mug cake recipes. Make your own Pop-Tarts with this recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking.
9. Fantastic Apple Crumb Cake
This Apple Crumb Cake recipe from Pickled Plum one is just so amazing that you might never want to make the real thing again!
10. Tasty Banana Nut Cake Recipe
You don’t need a whole loaf of banana bread when you’ve got Banana Nut Cake. Perfect if all you’ve got in the kitchen is one banana!
11. Easy Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Don’t want a whole cake? Then Five Heart Home‘s Blueberry Muffin recipe is perfect for breakfast in a hurry or when you’re just craving a fresh muffin.
12. Healthy Apple Pie Recipe
Kleinworth Co.‘s Apple Pie usually takes quite a while to make, so this recipe is awesome.
13. Refreshing Berry Cobbler Recipe
This Berry Cobbler recipe, from Kirbie Cravings, is one of our favorite desserts and now you can make a single serving, too! What a great sweet treat.
14. Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Even if it’s not Thanksgiving, you can have pumpkin pie with this treat from The Kitchn. Love this microwave mug cake recipe.
Chocolate Mug Desserts
15. Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Fresh from the oven cookies is the best! We love this Chocolate Chip Cookie -recipe from Temecula Blogs.
16. Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
This Chocolate Cake will cure your sweet tooth in just a couple of minutes. This chocolate mug cake recipe is the best!
17. Sweet S’mores Cake Recipe
No backyard fire? Don’t worry, still have some s’mores with this dessert from Little Dairy on The Prairie.
18. Amazing Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
Chocolate and peanut butter go perfectly together in every dessert. Check out this yummy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake recipe from Six Sisters Stuff.
19. Delectable Nutella Cake Recipe
Put Nutella in just about anything and it’s delicious! Love this Nutella Cake recipe from Tammilee Tips!
20. Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
My favorite Chocolate Lava Cake can be made in under two minutes! Add a scoop of ice cream on top and you’re in business!
21. Easy Mug Brownie Recipe
Don’t want to be tempted with a whole pan of brownies? Just make one with this Brownie in a Mug recipe from Simply Recipes.
22. Sweet Chocolate Cookies and Cream Mug Cake
If you are a cookies ‘n cream lover, Kirbie Cravings‘ recipe is perfect for you.
Keep this list of desserts in a mug around for any time you get a craving.
- 4 Tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 2-3 Tablespoons Granulated sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened cocoa powder (if making a chocolate mug cake)
- 1/8th Teaspoon Baking powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Milk (any type: whole, skim, almond, soy or oat milk)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1/4th Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Optional mix-ins or toppings: chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles or fruit
- In the microwave-safe mug, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder (if using), baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk, vegetable oil or melted butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients.
- Mix gently until combined with fork until no lumps.
- Stir in any desired mix-ins.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds until the cake rises and then plateaus.
- Let the mug cake cool for 2 minutes until you enjoy it as it will be hot!
Use a microwave-safe mug that is larger than 12-ounce capacity to avoid overflow during baking in the microwave.
Microwave cooking time may vary depending on the microwave's wattage; start with 60 seconds and add 10-20 seconds as needed.
Mug Cake Recipes FAQs
There are 5 major things to consider if your mug cake turns out rubbery when baked:
Over-mixing – just mix until the cake ingredients are combined.
2. Over-cooking – because cooking times vary due to your microwave’s wattage, this is likely the cause. Start with a shorter cooking time next time and then check it adding an additional 10-20 seconds followed by another check and repeat as needed.
3. Too liquidy – if your mug cake has too much liquid, it can bake into a rubbery mess.
4. Mug shape and size – irregular mugs can cause irregular cooking.
5. Incorrect proportions of ingredients – the ratio of wet to dry ingredients may be off.
The beauty of a mug cake is you can make it quickly and eat it fresh, but yes, you can eat a mug cake the next day. If you need to store your mug cake for later consumption, then let it cool, cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil or transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 36 hours at room temperature or up to 5 days in the fridge. Reheat your mug cake in the microwave for 10-15 seconds when ready to eat.
There are 4 major things to consider if your mug cake turns out soggy when baked:
Under-cooking – because cooking times vary due to your microwave’s wattage, this is likely the cause.
2. Too liquidy – if your mug cake has too much liquid, it can bake into a soggy mess.
3. Incorrect proportions of ingredients – the ratio of wet to dry ingredients may be off.
4. Condensation – if the steam coming from your mug cake gets trapped immediately after cooking, the cake will become soggy.
Baking Fun for the Whole Family
- Berry Upside Down Cake Recipe
- No Bake Chocolate Turtle Bars
- Easter (Surprise!) Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes
- How to Make Mermaid Cupcakes
- Lemonade Cake
- Unicorn Poop Cookies
- Fourth of July Sugar Cookie Bar Dessert
- Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
- You will love these epic baking hacks!
What is your favorite mug cake? Comment below!