We have easy dinner ideas that kids will eat! Busy nights are hard to juggle and get everyone fed which is why these back to school dinner recipes are so helpful. All these family dinner recipes are easy to make with just a few ingredients. Don’t stress over finding dinner ideas for when the kids go back to school, check out these 5 Easy Back to School Dinner Ideas.
easy Back to School Dinner Recipe Ideas
The only thing busier than weekday mornings is school nights. Between homework and after school activities, it can be hard to find time for family dinners.
That’s where these easy dinner recipes come in! These simple dinner recipes are some of my family’s favorite dinner recipes and they are all quick and easy and usually take just one pan which is great on a busy school night!
This article contains affiliate links.
Related: Want more quick easy dinner ideas? We have them!
Family Dinner Idea #1: One-Pan Lasagna Recipe
If there’s one meal we all love it’s lasagna! But traditional lasagna recipes can be time consuming and take a really long time to bake.
This recipe for One Pan Lasagna makes it so much easier!
Ingredients Needed to Make One-Pan Lasagna Recipe
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasonings (pre-made spice)
- Garlic salt
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Parsley, diced
How To Make On Pan Lasagna
Follow the simple directions to make one pan lasagna. <–click here
This recipe will take you less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Serve with a simple green salad and bread. Or if you have some fresh corn on the cob, that works well too!
Easy school night dinner done!
Family Dinner Idea #2: Homemade Fried Rice Recipe
Another one-pan meal that is perfect for a school night meal is Nutritious Eats Homemade Fried Rice.
It’s even easier if you make the rice ahead of time! You can also add some shredded cooked chicken to the fried rice for a complete meal.
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Fried Rice Recipe
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice (a day old or leftover rice works best)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrots thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
How to Make Homemade Fried Rice Recipe
- Cook your rice earlier in the day or the day before (store in an airtight container in the fridge once cooled).
- Thaw frozen peas & carrots.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Over a medium-high heat, heat up the sesame oil and cook the garlic, onion and thawed peas & carrots until softened.
- Lower the heat and push the veggie mixture to the side of the pan. Add the slightly beaten eggs to the other side and scramble. Make sure all of the eggs are cooked.
- Add the rice and 1/2 of the soy sauce. Mix.
- Add the remaining soy sauce and mix.
- Serve hot.
You can add pre-cooked meat of your choice to the fried rice recipe directly or use it as a side dish to a meat recipe. My family likes this as a main course without meat. Another school night family dinner recipe complete!
Pssst…this chop suey recipe is easy and a kid-pleaser too!
Family Dinner Idea #3: Homemade Tacos Recipe
It doesn’t have to be Tuesday to enjoy tacos for dinner! In fact, this is one of our favorite go-to school night dinners. You can set up a little taco station with all the toppings and let the family create their own.
Everyone loves tacos and I like it because it is quick and easy to make on a weekday evening.
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Beef, browned
- Shredded Cheese
- Flour Tortillas or Crispy Tacos Shells
- Burnt Macaroni‘s Homemade Taco Seasoning (or 1 packet)
How to Make Homemade Tacos Recipe
- In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef.
- Drain the excess fat. Add 1/2 cup water and 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning.
- Let the water and seasoning absorb into the meat.
- Fill your floured tortillas or taco shells with the taco ingredients.
Family Dinner Idea #4: Homemade Taco Nachos Recipe
It may have become obvious at this point that we live in Texas and love the idea of integrating Mexican food and Tex-Mex into our weeknight dinner ideas. It is something that everyone in the family can agree on.
Grab a container of fresh pico de gallo at the grocery store to add to any of these dishes. I also love making my favorite easy homemade guacamole recipe too!
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Taco Nachos Recipe
How to Make Homemade Taco Nachos Recipe
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Add a layer of tortilla chips.
- Next, spoon the taco meat on top.
- Finally, top with shredded cheese.
- Put in oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
This works really well as a movie night snack too. Or maybe you host a movie night on a busy school night (early) just to let everyone wind down together. Another busy school night recipe idea that is sure to please!
Family Dinner Idea #5: Tomato Feta Salad Recipe
Here’s another side to add to any meal. And if you already purchased a cooked roast chicken for fried rice, you can serve the rest with this Tomato Feta Salad from Food Network.
It’s super easy!
Ingredients Needed to Make Tomato Feta Salad Recipe
- 1 cup tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup cherub tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
How to Make Tomato Feta Salad Recipe
- Add the tomatoes cut in half, chopped red onions, olive oil, white wine vinegar, basil, parsley, salt & pepper — mix completely in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in your Feta Cheese.
Yay! So many busy school night dinner ideas.
more Back to School Recipes that kids will eat from kids activities blog
- 5 Back to School Easy Breakfast Ideas
- 5 Meatless and Nut-Free back to School Lunch Ideas
- 5 Sandwich-Free Back to School Lunch Ideas
- 5 Easy Back to School Afternoon Snack Recipes
- Check out these “clean-your-pantry-out” casserole recipes!
- 6 One Pot Pasta Recipes
- Need help figuring out how to make fun family dinners, check out how we changed things at home.
- Check out these 15 back to school lunch ideas!
- Check out these 12 easy dinner ideas for your family!
- Add these dinner rolls to your meals!
What is your favorite back to school dinner idea for your family? Please let us know what busy weeknight family recipes are your go-to solution!