Struggling with what to make for dinner when you have an empty pantry? The answer is empty your pantry casserole of course!!
When I am falling short on groceries the first thing I think to make is an easy casserole. Typically, you’ll already have the ingredients on hand and what is easier than throwing some ingredients into a pan!?
I love this casserole recipe. It is so versatile. You can make it with almost anything. This is a great way to use your leftovers and a great easy dinner recipe for beginners!
**this post has affiliate links
Empty Your Pantry Casserole
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 Tablespoons of oil (bacon grease, olive oil, or sour cream, etc.)
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper or spices to taste
Now pick one option from each category below to add to your casserole:
Pick a Sauce:
- Can of cream of mushroom soup, condensed — undiluted
- Can of ounces cream of celery soup, condensed — undiluted
- Can of ounces cream of chicken soup, condensed — undiluted
- Can of ounces cheddar cheese soup — undiluted
- Can of diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano — undrained
- Caramelized onions or mushrooms in beef broth
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream
…and then your vegetable (2-3 cups worth):
Green beans, sweet peas or corn, Asparagus tips, chopped spinach, frozen veggies, even kale or cabbage will work.
Pick a meat or protein source (about 2 cups worth):
- Canned white tuna in spring water — drained and flaked
- Chopped cooked chicken
- Diced cooked ham
- Chopped cooked turkey
- 1 pound ground beef — browned and drained
Add a starch of your choice:
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 3 cups uncooked small pasta shells
Or… cover with mashed potatoes, hash browns, biscuits, or a pie crust for a meat pie variation.
- 3 ounces canned mushroom slices — drained
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 1/2 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper — or green
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 1/4 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup chopped onion or scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
Top it off with:
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup round buttery crackers — crushed
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
Here is another empty pantry dinner idea…
King Ranch Chicken Casserole – yum!
Want some more delicious, easy dinner ideas? We’ve got you covered…
- 21 Recipes for 30 Minute Meals
- 5 One Pan Sausage Dinners
- Instant Pot Recipes
- Sweet Potato Chicken Burgers
- 3 Ingredient One Pot Bacon Mac & Cheese
Leave a comment: What did you add to your casserole? We’d love to hear!