Today we have a math game that explores place values with expanded form worksheets.
This Free Printable Place Value Worksheets Game for Learning Expanded Form will give your kids great hands-on experience with place values and manipulating numbers and quickly expanding and adding them.
Depending on your school’s math curriculum, you may find expanded form math concepts as early as 2nd grade, but usually it is a fourth grade math lesson. Even if you aren’t a 4th grader, learning expanded form can be a ton of fun with this printable worksheet set that doubles as a fun math game.
Free Printable Expanded Form Game Worksheet
Teaching expanded notation be a tricky concept because kids aren’t used to taking apart a number. With this printable expanded form game, it’s easy to SHOW kids how separating numbers into their parts can be quick!
Printable Expanded Form Game Contents
The 11 page set comes with number cards for each place value, 4 different 10-sided dice and a worksheet for them to practice on.
To make this game at home or in the classroom, you will need:
- Regular sized paper
- Glue or tape
To Make the Expanded Form Game
- Download & print the free printable expanded form game pages (see button below).
- Cut out the four colored 9 sided dice.
- Use glue on the tabs to form the dice shape & allow to dry.
- Grab the additional expanded form worksheets from the pack and get ready to play…
Play Expanded Form Game
To play, kids roll the dice and then choose the cards that match for each of the 4 place values.
For example, if they roll a 4, 6, 3 and a 9, they might pick the 4 card, the 60 card, the 300 card and the 9000 card.
Then they write these numerals into the spaces on the expanded form worksheet.
By stacking the cards up in size order, largest on the bottom, they’ll quickly SEE the total once they are added together.
They can also practice going the opposite direction by stacking the cards first and then pulling them apart to see the expanded form version.
Get your FREE Printable Place Value Game for Learning Expanded Form!
Let’s play a fun math game and learn all the things about expanded form!
What is Place Value?
The math concept of “place value” is that every digit of a number represents a certain value because of its position.
A place value chart can help us in finding and comparing the place value of the digits in numbers through millions. The place value of a digit increases by ten times as we move left on the place value chart and decreases by ten times as we move right.–Get more information over at SplashLearn.
What is Expanded Form?
Basically, the math concept of “expanded form” breaks up a number based on the number’s place value and EXPANDS it to show the value of each number.
For example, the number 546 in expanded form would be 500 + 40 + 6
More Math Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Here are some fun kids math games!
- Try out these elementary school math puzzles.
- Students will love these fun school aged activities.
- You can’t go wrong with fun math games for kids.
- We have so many awesome kids printable activities for students!
- Here’s a super cool fidget spinner math worksheet!
- Math is easy to learn with these fraction games for kids.
- Use our letter i worksheets to practice writing out the alphabet.
- This dinosaur math puzzles printable will teach addition in a fun way!
- Check out these money mathworksheets!
- Keep your kids engaged with these games to play with kids.
- Try out this math is fun app for a digital way to learn math.
- You can also check out the splash math student dashboard too.
- Enhance writing skills with these letter s worksheets.
- Keep your little one learning with activities for kindergarten!
How quickly did your kids catch on to expanded form with this fun game?