UPDATE: Yesterday the Splash Math app dropped its price! The paid version is now a one-time fee of $9.99 for one grade level or $29.99 for all five grade levels. Another advantage of Splash Math over its competitors is that an internet connection is not required to access the content on the iPad.
Download the app here: Splash Math Grades 1-5
I remember when I was in grade school we would have pages of 100 math facts that we needed to fill out in 5 minutes. It didn’t strike me odd that my kids brought home the same exact format worksheet 30+ years later until I started investigating some of the options that they have that weren’t available in the 1970s.
There are ways to practice math that are actually…FUN
One of the ways we use is the Splash Math
website. The very cool thing is that today they released Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5 App
! In fact, we were so excited about the ability for the kids to learn and practice math from tablets and smart phones on the go that they are our newest Kids Activities Blog sponsor!
5 Ways We Will Use Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5 App
1. Worksheet Replacement
– When those long, tedious worksheets for fact practice come home, I look and see what concepts they cover and then find those concepts in the Splash Math dashboard. Each student has a grade-appropriate lesson list that you can skip around and find the concept they are currently learning in school. I will make a note to the teacher on the worksheet that they did it on the app and what they scored.
2. Independent Practice
– Some math skills need additional practice. I find the areas that they are lacking and have them set themselves up on Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5 App to put in some extra time playing or answering interactive questions. The good thing is that they can do this by themselves wherever we might be and I will have record of their score and time spent after they are done.
3. Extra Screentime
– We have screentime limitations at our house, but there are a few sites that are exempt from the limits. Splash Math is one of them. I figure that an additional 30 minutes on the computer or iPad is a good thing if they are actively learning something. Now with the Splash Math – grades 1 to 5 app, the kids think they are getting away with playing more than their share of handheld video games!
– It is amazing how quickly curriculums move through math concepts at school. It is really easy to lose knowledge when it is separated by time and new concepts. Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5 App is a really easy and fun way to do a quick review over things already learned. It doesn’t seem like “work” even over during vacation or over the summer. You can even go back to earlier grades within the student’s dashboard.
5. Introduce New Concepts
– Because the interaction on Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5 App are bright, colorful and playful, it is not intimidating to interact with new concepts. Even when a student scores low on a practice lesson, the process is encouraging to continue the practice until the concept is grasped.
During all a child’s practice on Splash Math, they are earning coins. You can set up a reward system where they could redeem a certain amount for a special activity with you. With the new app, Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5, the progress and coins will sync across all platforms.
I also like that it goes up to grade 5 – so it isn’t just simple
concepts that are covered within the games and interactive questions.
Like I mentioned above, the Splash Math – Grades 1 to 5 App is NOW available in the app store for free!
You can find out more about Splash Math on their website
and how it can make homework time at your house more peaceful.
Big thanks to Splash Math for being our latest sponsor. We love it when we can work with those who we adore :). All opinions expressed are mine.