This pumpkin themed window cling craft for kids is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. Little crafters will love the simple craft steps and unlimited ability to customize what it looks like when finished.
It is that time of year again! Halloween is quickly coming up and what better way to celebrate than to decorate your home with some kids crafts…
Easy Halloween Pumpkin Window Cling
We took inspiration for this easy preschool Halloween craft from the pumpkin and its shape. This simple craft is easy to make and fun to hang in the window.
It is fun to add texture to a craft through ribbon and rick rack. What made creating this window cling extra fun was that my son was able to pull up the ribbons and move them around until he was complete happy with their placement.
This article contains affiliate links.
- Scissors or preschool training scissors
- contact paper
- orange construction paper
- odd pieces of ribbon and rick rack in different lengths
Start by cutting out a pumpkin from a piece of orange construction paper. This does not have to be exact or perfect! And any size works great. I made a few pencil marks on the paper before we made a cut, but you could do it freehand as well.
Once you have cut the outside shape, you can cut out the center portion. We went back and cut out a little on the outside shape and stem until we like the way it looked.
Then trace the pumpkin’s outline onto a piece of contacts paper. We cut down the contact paper a little bit, but should have left it the same size. Next you will need to peel the back of the contact paper and place it on the pumpkin outline.
With the sticky side contact paper of facing up you are now ready to start decorating ribbon or rick rack. One of the wonderful things about ribbon and rick rack on contact paper is that it can by pulled off and moved around multiple times.
Which is what happened at our house. My son moved ribbons all over the center of the pumpkin until he like the way it looked.
Our Experience Making this Window Cling Craft
We used very thin ribbon and rick rack to decorate with. Due to the lack of thickness, my kid was able to layer the ribbons and rick rack on the contact paper. I think it gave his Halloween craft a little more of an artsy look.
Educational Opportunities for Preschoolers with this Craft
Creating this pumpkin window cling was a great opportunity to introduce words and concepts:
- Directions: horizontal, vertical, and diagonal. You could give simple directions during the craft to see if the child can move the objects in each of these directions.
- Texture & Descriptions: We also talked about thick versus thin, smooth versus rough and frayed ends and smooth ends. I love to sneak vocabulary building and other learning concepts into craft times.
MORE PUMPKIN CRAFTS & FUN FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- This paper pumpkin craft is one of my favorites!
- Check out this cute 5 little pumpkins craft.
- Use this pumpkin printable to fold into a cute 3D pumpkin craft.
- This paper plate pumpkin jack-o-lantern doubles as an emotions activity for kids.
- Check out all the fun pumpkin ideas in this pumpkin craft and decorating resource!
- Love these pumpkin crafts and ideas!
- This cute pumpkin door hanger craft is perfect for decorating your front porch this fall!
- Pumpkin handprint art is a great way to get even little kids involved in crafting for fall.
- These easy pumpkin ideas include crafts and activities for kids.
- These no carve pumpkin ideas are perfect for real pumpkins that last longer on your porch or are safer for your kids to help decorate.
- Make a cereal box pumpkin craft for kids!
- Make a string pumpkin craft…these turn out so cute and are incredibly cheap to make!
- Easy pumpkin carving is essential with kids so we show you how to carve a pumpkin!
- Don’t miss out on these free and fun pumpkin carving stencils!
How did your easy window cling craft turn out? Did your kids love making a pumpkin window cling for Halloween?