Today we are learning how to draw a mermaid in nine easy steps that anyone can follow! Yes, even your youngest kid with no drawing experience! All you have to do is download and print our 3-page step-by-step mermaid sketch tutorial, follow the steps, and you’ll have a cute mermaid drawing to call your own. Use this easy mermaid sketch guide at home or in the classroom.
Make A Mermaid Drawing Easy For Kids
Most kids love mermaids, and it makes complete sense! Who doesn’t love these beautiful half-human, half-fish creatures that live in the sea next to adorable fish? Just like unicorns, mermaids are one of our most-requested tutorials. So, click the button to print our how to draw a simple mermaid printable tutorial before getting started:
So grab a notebook and your colored pencils, markers, or watercolor paints, follow the steps, and finally, color your mermaid and her tail with your favorite colors!
Easy Steps to Draw a Pretty Mermaid
Follow this easy how-to-draw a cartoon mermaid step-by-step tutorial and you will be drawing your own cute mermaid drawings in no time!
Let’s start! Draw a circle and a rectangle below it.
Connect the circle and rectangle by drawing two arched lines to make the neck. Then draw your mermaid’s arms.
Let’s draw the hands by adding two ovals on each arm.
Now, draw two ovals – this will be our mermaid’s tail. Yay!
Add curved lines and erase extra lines.
Use curved lines to make the top and the tail’s fins.
Draw the hair however you want it to look!
Let’s add details: Draw circles to make the eyes, ovals for the cheeks, curved lines for the nose, smile, and eyebrows.
Amazing job! Get creative and add different details. Your mermaid is done! Yay! Now it’s time to give her some pretty colors!
Download Simple Mermaid Drawing Lesson PDF FILE
Recommended Drawing Supplies
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- You will need an eraser!
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
- Don’t forget a pencil sharpener.
You can find LOADS of super fun coloring pages for kids & adults here. Have fun!
More Easy Drawing Lessons For Kids
- How to draw a leaf – use this step-by-step instruction set for making your own beautiful leaf drawing
- How to draw an elephant – this is an easy tutorial on drawing a flower
- How to draw Pikachu – OK, this is one of my favorites! Make your own easy Pikachu drawing
- How to draw a panda – Make your own cute pig drawing by following these instructions
- How to draw a turkey – kids can make their own tree drawing by following along these printable steps
- How to draw Sonic the Hedgehog – simple steps to making a Sonic the Hedgehog drawing
- How to draw a fox – make a beautiful fox drawing with this drawing tutorial
- How to draw a turtle– easy steps for making a turtle drawing
- See all of our printable tutorials on how to draw <–by clicking here!
Great Books For More Drawing Fun
The Big Drawing Book
By following the very simple step-by-steps in this fun drawing book you can draw dolphins diving in the sea, knights guarding a castle, monster faces, buzzing bees, and lots, lots more.
Drawing Doodling and Coloring
An excellent book filled with doodling, drawing and coloring activities. On some of the pages you’ll find ideas for what to do, but you can do whatever you like.
Write and Draw Your Own Comics
Write and Draw Your Own Comics is full of inspiring ideas for all kinds of different stories, with writing tips to help you on your way. for kids who want to tell stories, but gravitate toward pictures. It has a mix of partially-drawn comics and blank panels with intro comics as instructions – lots of space for kids to draw their own comics!
More Mermaid Crafts and Activities From Kids Activities Blog:
- Look at this amazing mermaid coloring pages.
- How adorable are these mermaid crafts? There are 22 to choose from.
- Wow, this mermaid tail suncatcher is so bright and lovely.
- Look how lovely these watercolor paint mermaids.
- You need to check out this Mermaid Tail for Kids!
How did your mermaid drawing turn out? Comment below and let us know.