This dinosaur map shows where dinosaurs lived.
For kids and adults alike, it can be hard to grasp just how old the earth is and how it’s changed over millions upon millions of years.
But an interactive 3D map, called Ancient Earth Globe, is giving people a free glimpse into the past.
Where Dinosaurs Lived Map
Not only does the map show how land masses have changed over time, but you can literally search to see what dinosaurs used to live in your part of the world!
Ancient Earth Globe
Ancient Earth Globe — created by Ian Webster, a paleontologist, using Experiments with Google — is a super cool and easy to use online tool.
How to Find the Ancient Earth Globe Tool
- Start by searching for your location using the “City Name” box. After you select your city, the tool will drop a red pin onto the map.
- Then change what “time” it is by selecting from the drop-down menu.
Look Back Millions of Years
You can view what the earth looked like anywhere from 750 million years ago to 20 million years ago.
Watch as plate tectonics move your “town” over millions of years (as long as its not under water).
Find If Dinosaurs Lived Near You on a Map
But what I know you really want to know: did dinosaurs roam where I live now?
When you search your city, if fossils were ever found in your area, they’ll show up under your city name.
Click the name of the dino fossils, and you’ll be taken to a new page jam packed with all sorts of fun info about the dino, including where else the fossils were found, what the dino ate, when it lived, and oh so much more.
Explore Dinosaur Learning Deeper with Ancient World Map
Whether your kids want to learn more about earth and how it’s changed over time, or they’re super into dinosaurs like my kids are, Ancient Earth Globe is such an awesome educational tool.
MORE DINOSAUR IDEAS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- For all kinds of dinosaur ideas, these 50 Dinosaur Crafts & Activities will have something for every kids you know.
- This Printable Dinosaur Coloring Poster is perfect for rainy days.
- Decorate your kid’s bedrooms with glow-in-the-dark dinosaur wall decals.
- Did you know that the spinosaurus is the first known swimming dinosaur?
- Make Dinosaur Surprise Eggs and discover what dinosaurs are hiding inside.
- This Dinosaur Dig Sensory Bin are so much fun for kids who like dig or for aspiring paleontologists.
- Did you know experts say kids who are obsessed with dinosaurs are smarter?
- If it’s birthday season, here’s how to plan a dinosaur themed birthday party.
- Make Jurassic waffles for breakfast with a mini dinosaur waffle maker!
- This dad built the most amazing dinosaur play set for his kids in his backyard.
Did you know about the dinosaur map? Did you look up to see if dinosaurs lived near you?