Google’s New Feature Lets You See Life-Size Dinosaurs I In The Real World Thanks To AR
Kids bored? Give them a thrill — or scare — by using a Google feature that lets you put augmented-reality (AR) dinosaurs into your living space. Not only is it highly entertaining, but it’s also a fun educational tool. After all, the AR prehistoric creatures will appear in your house in their “true” size. Yeah, a T-Rex definitely does not fit inside my living room.
How to Access the AR Dinosaur Feature in Google
These dinosaurs aren’t the only creatures available in AR with Google. Over the last year, they’ve added a variety of AR views with different animals.
For one, when they launched the feature, I had a ton of fun scaring my mom by sending her a photo text of an enormous snake hanging out in our living room. She totally thought it was real!
These AR dinosaurs are just as much fun to play with. You — or your kids — will be running around the house testing the Google AR feature out.
So how do you do it? It’s easy peasy. On your smart phone in the Google search engine or app, simply search “dinosaurs” or any of the dinos currently available. Those dinos include:
- Tyrannosaurus Rex
Next, click on “view in 3D.” The feature will access your camera. Move your camera around and voila! You’ll have a dino as your guest, even if you’re social distancing.
A Sneak Peak into How AR Dinos are Made
If your kids want to know more about these AR dinosaurs, Google also shares about how they brought them to “life.” Google worked with technology from the game “Jurassic World Alive,” for one. As the Lead on Character Creations at Ludia, Camilo Sanin shared:
To create the 3D dinosaurs, our concept artists first did preliminary research to discover information about each creature. Not only did we draw research from various forms of literature, our artists also worked with paleontologists and the ‘Jurassic World’ team to make the assets as accurate and realistic as possible. Even the smallest of details, such as irregularities of skin color and patterns, are important.
Now please excuse me while I go record a video of a dinosaur chasing my kids through our backyard.
MORE DINOSAUR IDEAS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- For all kinds of dinosaur ideas, these 50 Dinosaur Crafts & Activities will have something for every kids you know.
- This Printable Dinosaur Coloring Poster is perfect for rainy days.
- Decorate your kid’s bedrooms with glow-in-the-dark dinosaur wall decals.
- Did you know that the spinosaurus is the first known swimming dinosaur?
- Make Dinosaur Surprise Eggs and discover what dinosaurs are hiding inside.
- This Dinosaur Dig Sensory Bin are so much fun for kids who like dig or for aspiring paleontologists.
- Did you know experts say kids who are obsessed with dinosaurs are smarter?
- If it’s birthday season, here’s how to plan a dinosaur themed birthday party.
- Make Jurassic waffles for breakfast with a mini dinosaur waffle maker!
- This dad built the most amazing dinosaur play set for his kids in his backyard.