This week Band-Aid announced via Instagram that they’re releasing a new set of bandages in a range of brown and black flesh-toned colors, not just soft-pink. Now kiddos of every color can find a Band-aid that matches the color of their skin.
While it’s about time for more bandage colors, this isn’t the first time parent company Johnson & Johnson has released multiracial bandages. They first released the Perfect Blend brand back in 2005.
Perfect Blend didn’t sell well at the time, and the brand was turned into clear bandage products. But thankfully they’re bringing back more variety and offering more skin tone colors with their bandages.
As Band-Aid said in the announcement:
We are committed to launching a range of bandages in light, medium and deep shades of Brown and Black skin tones that embrace the beauty of diverse skin. We are dedicated to inclusivity and providing the best healing solutions, better representing you.Band-Aid
Band-Aid also said that they hope this gives people of color more options when it comes to shopping for bandages. They also shared that they’ve made some improvements to the flesh-toned bandages. According to CNN, the new adhesive bandages also have more comfort and flexibility.
While Band-aid is just starting to release the new bandages, other companies have seen the need for black and brown toned bandages for years. Those companies include Browndages and Tru-Color; Tru-Color has a motto of “diversity in healing.”
Kids the world over love bandages made in all designs; my kids in particular are fans of the princess and Trolls band-aids, which they use for more than just boo-boos.
But the lack of diversity for flesh-toned Band-Aid bandages was a problem, and one that needed to be addressed. Thankfully, as the biggest name in bandages, Band-aid stepped up and expanded their offerings. It may feel overdue, but it’s a step forward in the right direction to making kids — adults — feel more included.
Crayola also recently released more crayon colors in various skin tone colors.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME IDEAS:
- Check out these LEGO organizer ideas!
- Try these easy cookie recipes with few ingredients.
- Make this homemade bubble solution.
- Your kids will love these pranks for kids.
- Check out these fun duct tape crafts.
- Make galaxy slime!
- Play these indoor games.
- Spread joy with these fun facts to share.
- Handprint art will give you all the feels.
- Make reading even more fun with this PB kids summer reading challenge.
- Love these fun games for girls (and boys!)
- Learn and play with these science games for kids.
- Enjoy these simple tissue paper crafts.
- These fun Halloween games bring the party!