Want some uplifting news? A 10-year-old girl from Connecticut is brightening the lives of kids in homeless shelters and foster care throughout the U.S. Through her charity, Chelsea’s Charity, Chelsea is sending art kits to kids who may need some cheering up.
Why is Chelsea’s Charity Sending Art Kits?
The process of making art is therapeutic, something Chelsea Phaire is familiar with after losing her swim coach to gun violence. Art allows people to cope with and process their emotions. In turn, it can make a huge difference to someone’s mental health. That’s some of the reasoning behind the art kits.
Chelsea started her charity, with help from her parents, back in 2019. After asking people to donate art supplies for her birthday, in lieu of giving gifts, she in turn created art kits. She clearly is a girl with such a big, loving heart!
The kits included items like crayons, marker, colored pencils, gel pens, and coloring books. After packing them up, Chelsea and her family delivered the art kits in person to kids in a New York homeless shelter.
After the pandemic led to a lock down across the U.S., Chelsea started mailing the kits to foster homes, shelters, and schools instead. Since March, they’ve sent an incredible amount of art kits — more than 1,500! — to kids who now, more than ever, can use an outlet to express their feelings.
As Chelsea told CNN:
“I feel good inside knowing how happy they are when they get their art kits. I have definitely grown as a person because of this. Now my dream is to meet every kid in the entire world and give them art. Who knows, maybe if we do that and then our kids do that, we’ll have world peace!”
As Chelsea also says, “art is a start.” It’s a start at helping kids who need a helping hand. It’s a start at encouraging people to talk about their feelings. It’s also a start at making a difference.
Chelsea, for one, is making an enormous difference. As the charity receives requests for art kits, the charity updates its website with its needs. Donations can also be made to help with things like postage. What an incredible, inspiring young girl!
SOME MORE OF OUR FAVORITE ACTIVITIES:
- Play these 50 science games for kids
- Help your kids learn how to make bubbles at home!
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- Spread joy with these fun facts to share
- Handprint art will give you all the feels
- Love these fun games for girls (and boys!)
- Your kids will love these pranks for kids
- Check out these fun duct tape crafts
- Make galaxy slime!
- Let kids explore this virtual Hogwarts escape room!
- Check out these kids education websites offering free subscriptions.
- Everybody has time for a 5 minutes craft!
- Try out these cool Halloween party games for kids!