Mayim Bialik may be best known for her acting role as Blossom, and later as Amy Farrah Fowler on The Big Bang Theory, but the talented actress, comedian, and author also has a PhD in Neuroscience from UCLA. Now she’s also adding “professor” to her resume. That’s because she’s leading an online Varsity Tutors class in Neuroscience. As if that wasn’t cool enough, it’s also FREE!
The class is all about the human brain and how it works. Kids will love hearing from Mayim Bialik, even if they’re not familiar with her (yet). She’s down to earth and she’s going to make the complicated science relatable through two half-hour classes. The classes air on Thursday May 14 & May 21 at 1:30 p.m. Eastern.
Week One with Bialik: Our Amazing Brains
In the first class, Bialik will kick off the exploration of the human brain by sharing why she’s fascinated with neuroscience. During this class, Bialik will also talk about the central nervous system, and how the spinal cord and brain work together.
Week Two with Bialik: All About That Neuron
The second part of this course focuses on neurons, and their role in the human brain. As the course description promises, Bialik is going to teach kids about “how neurons make our brains more powerful than any computer ever invented.” She’ll also explain how neurons send info throughout our bodies.
Pretty cool stuff, huh? This class is geared toward (and marketed) for kids in grades 5 to 10. But it’s open to everyone. Yes, parents too. You can sign up for the class here.
Varsity Tutors is also offering an array of other free classes with celebrities too. Kids can learn about space from astronaut Leland Melvin, balancing mind and body wellness with gymnast with Aly Raisman, and about kinrgy with Julianne Hough.
RELATED STUCK AT HOME POSTS:
- Explore these awesome virtual museum tours.
- Headbands with buttons for nurses is a fun project!
- These easy dinner ideas give you one less thing to worry about.
- Try these fun edible playdough recipes!
- Sew masks for nurses or make masks without sewing.
- Make a homemade bidet.
- Learn how to homeschool preschool.
- Apply for a scholarship to Codeacademy.
- Print off educational worksheets for kids!
- Set up a neighborhood bear hunt. Your kids will love it!
- Play these 50 science games for kids.
- Prepare for the week by making 5 dinners in 1 hour!
- You know you need these LEGO storage ideas.
- Make a headband for attaching masks.
- Check out these Zoom hacks as you work and homeschool!
- Check out these amazing five minute crafts.
- Try these these cool Halloween party games for kids!