Everything Shark Week 2021: Kids Shark Activities, Shark Crafts, Coloring Pages & More
Shark week 2021 is August 9-16 on the Discovery Channel!
But even if you popped in here a little early, keep scrolling because we have all sorts of shark fun from shark themed kids activities & crafts to a ton of Shark coloring pages, printables and fact sheets.
Shark Week for Kids
How did all the Shark Week fun get started? Why is it something we celebrate every year...nearly a holiday?
Shark Week History
Shark Week is an annual, week-long TV programming block created by Steve Cheskin at the Discovery Channel, which features shark-based programming. Shark Week originally premiered on July 17, 1988. Featured annually, in July or early August, it was originally devoted to conservation efforts and correcting misconceptions about sharks. Over time, it grew in popularity and became a hit on the Discovery Channel. Since 2010, it has been the longest-running cable television programming event in history. -Wikipedia
Oh, and it runs in over 70 countries! If you missed last year's Shark Week, never fear...Discovery has a playlist of the Best of Shark Week 2020 that can get you caught up.
Shark Week and Younger Kids
One thing we might not have expected 10 years ago was the crazy trending craze of Baby Shark Doo Doo! But then again, I think most of us have given up any predictions by the year 2021. If you have kids who are big Baby Shark fans, the natural next step is to get them excited about Shark Week 2021. Watching Shark Week as a family can make sure that the programming is more informational and less like screening the movie, Jaws and creating panic!
Shark Week is one of the most anticipated TV events for toddlers, teens, and adults alike. It is fun to get up close and personal with sharks.
Watching Shark Week is not only fun, but it's also highly educational!
If you didn't know, Discovery Channel works with almost two dozen marine biologists and science institutions to bring us the most reliable and compelling data on sharks.
In August, sharks will invade your TV schedule when Shark Week 2021 begins. The entire family will be able to see all 20+ hours of shark programming throughout the week.
Print These Shark Facts for Kids
We have created a really fun Shark facts for kids printable set which doubles as a Shark coloring page. Read through the facts included below and then download & print it.
20 Facts You Didn't Know About Sharks
- Scientists believe there are more than 400 different species of sharks.
- Sharks don't have bones! Instead, they have cartilages that are lighter than bones.
- They have been around the planet for about 400 million years!
- Sharks are the top predators of the ocean's natural food chain.
- Sharks have a nearly 360-degree field of vision.
- Sharks live for about 25 years, but some can live to be around 100 years old too.
- Most kinds of sharks can swim up to 20-40 miles per hour.
- When sharks eat, they often break a few teeth.
- They replace some of their teeth every 8 days. Some species shed about 30,000 teeth in their lifetime!
- Sharks don’t eat every day.
- If they eat a big meal, it can last three or more months.
- Their sense of smell is 10,000 times better than a human’s!
- They can quickly detect a drop of blood in a small swimming pool.
- Shark’s skin is covered by small, sharp teeth called denticles.
- The biggest fish in the world is the Whale shark. It weighs about 90,000 pounds!
- The smallest shark, the dwarf lanternshark, is less than seven inches long!
- Sharks never get cancer.
- Some sharks have to continuously swim because if they stop moving they will sink.
- Sharks are picky eaters. They often take one bite of something before they decide if they want to eat it.
- Great whites are the deadliest shark in the ocean!
Download here: Shark Facts for Kids Printable Coloring Pages
15 Shark Crafts & Shark Activities for Kids
Now that Shark Week is almost here, let's do some shark activities and crafts that your little ones will love doing. They are so fun and easy and you can make most with things you already own.
- Choose your favorite shark craft to celebrate Shark Week
- Make a cool shark piñata with a cereal box
- Encourage reading by making a shark bookmark
- Make delicious shark snacks for the entire family
- Show off your very own shark teeth crafts
- This cute shark magnet is super fun to make
- Pretend to "bite" your friends with this paper shark craft
- Make these scary shark treats that are both delicious and fun to make!
- These shark lollipops are the perfect summer snack to celebrate shark week
- This shark paper plate is a nice craft for kids of all ages
- Enjoy painting the cutest shark week coloring pages
- Did you know there are sharks in an underwater volcano?
- Go to bed with a smile with the most adorable kids shark bedding
- Check out this Baby Shark song art kit that kids just love
- Try this deliciously cute shark mac & cheese lunch
Keep scrolling because we have sooo many more fun shark activities for kids...