Everything You Need To Know About Shark Week
A lot of big events got postponed this year, luckily Shark Week is not one of them. In fact, Shark Week is almost back!
Originally, Shark Week was devoted to correcting misconceptions, bringing awareness, and promoting sharks' conservation. Years later, it became a hit on the Discovery Channel and now kids and adults alike enjoy watching it every year.
By now, your kids probably are Baby Shark's biggest fans (learn what is Baby Shark all about and why we love him so much), so it's no surprise they'll be excited about Shark Week 2020 too.
Did you know you can get paid to watch Shark Week? USDirect will pay one fan $1,000 to watch all of Shark Week 2020! Get all the info on People.com
What is Shark Week?
Shark Week is one of the most anticipated TV events for toddlers, teens, and adults alike.
Shark Week is an annual summer TV event from the Discovery Channel that takes viewers to oceans around the world to get up close and personal with sharks.
Here are 16 facts you may not know about sharks as well as breathtaking photos you probably haven't seen before.
Watching Shark Week is not only fun, but it's also highly educational!
If you didn't know, Discovery Channel works with almost two dozen marine biologists and science institutions to bring us the most reliable and compelling data on sharks.
Learn 10 cool facts about the great white shark, one of the ocean's deadliest predators!
When is Shark Week 2020 Happening?
This summer, sharks will invade your TV schedule when Shark Week 2020 begins. The entire family will be able to see all 20+ hours of shark programming throughout the week, starting:
Shark Week 2020 is on Sunday, Aug. 9.
Are you excited about Discovery Channel's most exciting tradition? Get ready for this event with these Shark Facts vs. Shark Myths that you probably didn't know about!
Shark Week will take us to oceans around the world to reveal the mysterious world of sharks. Shark Week is the longest-running series on cable, so there is no doubt it has had a good and a not-so-good influence in pop culture. This is what scientists have to say about what's right and what's wrong with Shark Week.
Download here: Shark Facts Coloring Pages
20 Facts You Didn't Know About Sharks
- Scientists believe there are more than 400 different species of sharks.
- Sharks don't have bones! Instead, they have cartilages that are lighter than bones.
- They have been around the planet for about 400 million years!
- Sharks are the top predators of the ocean's natural food chain.
- Sharks have a nearly 360-degree field of vision.
- Sharks live for about 25 years, but some can live to be around 100 years old too.
- Most kinds of sharks can swim up to 20-40 miles per hour.
- When sharks eat, they often break a few teeth.
- They replace some of their teeth every 8 days. Some species shed about 30,000 teeth in their lifetime!
- Sharks don’t eat every day.
- If they eat a big meal, it can last three or more months.
- Their sense of smell is 10,000 times better than a human’s!
- They can quickly detect a drop of blood in a small swimming pool.
- Shark’s skin is covered by small, sharp teeth called denticles.
- The biggest fish in the world is the Whale shark. It weighs about 90,000 pounds!
- The smallest shark, the dwarf lanternshark, is less than seven inches long!
- Sharks never get cancer.
- Some sharks have to continuously swim because if they stop moving they will sink.
- Sharks are picky eaters. They often take one bite of something before they decide if they want to eat it.
- Great whites are the deadliest shark in the ocean!
Here are 15 Shark Themed Activities for Kids
Now that Shark Week is almost here, let's do some shark activities and crafts that your little ones will love doing. They are so fun and easy and you can make most with things you already own.
- Choose your favorite shark craft to celebrate Shark Week
- Make a cool shark piñata with a cereal box
- Encourage reading by making a shark bookmark
- Make delicious shark snacks for the entire family
- Show off your very own shark teeth crafts
- This cute shark magnet is super fun to make
- Pretend to "bite" your friends with this paper shark craft
- Make these scary shark treats that are both delicious and fun to make!
- These shark lollipops are the perfect summer snack to celebrate shark week
- This shark paper plate is a nice craft for kids of all ages
- Enjoy painting the cutest shark week coloring pages
- Did you know there are sharks in an underwater volcano?
- Go to bed with a smile with the most adorable kids shark bedding
- Check out this Baby Shark song art kit that kids just love
- Try this deliciously cute shark mac & cheese lunch