Whether your kids love trains or they just love crafts, they will have a lot of fun creating this toilet paper roll train craft.
This train is made from recycled materials, which makes it an inexpensive craft idea that’s good for the planet!
Toilet Paper Roll Train Craft
I love to make DIY toys that keep the kids busy long after the craft is through.
I thought this might be a craft we made and displayed for a while, but I was wrong.
When we were done creating, my son made that train go choo-choo all throughout the house, for days!
He sat in the kitchen making it travel around him for a while. His legs, tables, and chairs around the house became tunnels.
This was a craft activity that wound up becoming a toy that resonated with my three year old, inspiring hours of creative play!
Materials Needed to Make a Toilet Paper Roll Train
This post contains affiliate links.
- 6 Toilet Paper Roll Tubes
- 1 Skinny Cardboard Tube (I used the center of a roll of foil)
- 20 Lids (milk containers, Vitamin waters, Gatorade)
- Craft Paint
- Foam Brushes
- Hole Punch or Something to Make a Hole in the Cardboard Tube
- Hot Glue Gun
- Paint your cardboard tubes various bright colors. Cut C-shapes out of one of the tubes to create both the top of the engine and caboose. Paint those accordingly. Also cut a C-shape out of the skinny cardboard tube and paint it the same color as the engine. The C-Shape tubes will arch nicely around the toilet paper roll.
- Once dry, hot glue the tops of the engine and caboose in place. Also, hot glue four plastic lids on each cardboard tube as the wheels of your train.
- Punch small holes into the four “corners” of each tube. These are your attachment points for the yarn. Cut the yarn to length.
- Weave the thread through one tube and another tube to attach two tubes together. Tie a knot. Continue the process until all of the cars of the train are connected.
It’s time to play!
Want More Transportation Activities For Kids?
Give these ones a try:
- 13 Clever Transportation Activities
- DIY Car Mat, Paper Plane Landing Strip
- 13 Fun Toy Car Activities
- Paper Plate Magnet Track by Meaningful Mama
Want More Upcycled/ Recycled Craft Ideas?
I can’t get enough of crafts that give every day things second life!
- 25 incredible toilet paper roll crafts
- DIY Recycled Frisbee
- Recycled Crafts: Cereal Box Robot
- Recycled Craft; Make A Jetpack
Hope you enjoyed making a toilet paper roll train! Comment below with any craft ideas you have for toilet paper/ paper towel rolls!