Celebrate National Train Day by creating this toilet paper roll train craft today!
Toilet Paper Roll Train Craft
I thought this might be a craft we made and displayed for a while, but I was wrong.
When we were done creating, my son made that train go choo-choo all throughout the house, for days!
He sat in the kitchen, making it travel around him for a while. His legs, tables, and chairs around the house became tunnels.
This was a craft activity that wound up becoming a toy that resonated with my three year old, inspiring hours of creative play!
Materials Needed to Make a Toilet Paper Roll Train
This post contains affiliate links.
- 6 Toilet Paper Roll Tubes
- 1 Skinny Cardboard Tube (I used the center of a roll of foil)
- 20 Lids (milk containers, Vitamin waters, Gatorade)
- Craft Paint
- Foam Brushes
- Hole Punch or Something to Make a Hole in the Cardboard Tube
- Hot Glue Gun
- Paint your cardboard tubes various bright colors. Cut C-shapes out of one of the tubes to create both the top of the engine and caboose. Paint those accordingly. Also cut a C-shape out of the skinny cardboard tube and paint it the same color as the engine. The C-Shape tubes will arch nicely around the toilet paper roll.
- Once dry, hot glue the tops of the engine and caboose in place. Also, hot glue four plastic lids on each cardboard tube as the wheels of your train.
- Punch small holes into the four “corners” of each tube. These are your attachment points for the yarn. Cut the yarn to length.
- Weave the thread through one tube and another tube to attach two tubes together. Tie a knot. Continue the process until all of the cars of the train are connected.
It’s time to play!
Want More Transportation Activities For Kids?
Give these ones a try:
- 13 Clever Transportation Activities
- Here’s a List of Virtual Train Rides You Can Take Around the World
- DIY Car Mat, Paper Plane Landing Strip
- Netflix is Releasing a Special Episode of ‘Thomas and Friends’ Featuring Prince Harry This Week
- 13 Fun Toy Car Activities
Want More Upcycled/ Recycled Craft Ideas?
I can’t get enough of crafts that give every day things second life!
- 25 Incredible Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
- Paper Mache Rain Stick
- DIY Recycled Frisbee
- Cereal Box Robot
- Make A Jetpack
- Jelly Fish (Recycled Craft)
Hope you enjoyed making a toilet paper roll train! Comment below with any craft ideas you have for toilet paper/ paper towel rolls!