This Fizzing Sidewalk Paint recipe is by far one of our kids’ most favorite play recipes of all times. This outdoor paint activity works great for kids of all ages and adds a little fizzy to artful science!
Make Fizzing Sidewalk PAINT
Sidewalk chalk is fun, painting is fun, and making things fizz is also fun! Let’s do all three!
This is a really simple recipe to create sidewalk chalk “paint” out of food coloring, baking soda and cornstarch.
We have made the standard sidewalk chalk paint before, but this recipe is better – it fizzes when you spray it with vinegar.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to Make Fizzing Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- A container of baking soda – we used an 8 oz box
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- Warm (almost hot) Water
- Food coloring
How to Make Fizzing Sidewalk Paint
Mix the dry ingredients and then add water, stirring until it’s not too thick. I think we used about a cup.
This paint dries very quickly – but washes off with ease!
I love the brilliant colors.
Now for the fun!
Spray the paint with a bottle of vinegar and watch the fizz appear.
Our Experience with Fizzing Sidewalk Paint
To say this activity was a hit is an understatement. They are thrilled.
And clean up was a
Ways to Extend Learning Through Play
Want to add more “learning to this activity?
Talk about the reaction between acids and base chemicals. This is a fun way to incorporate chemistry into your preschoolers life (or just enjoy the fizz).
101 Kids Activities That are the Bestest Funnest Ever
If you like this kids activity, we bet you’ll like the other 100 activities and recipes found in our book – a real, in-paper book! 101 Kids Activities that are the Bestest Funnest Ever! is now available.
If you make fizzing sidewalk paint, tell me about it!
More Sidewalk Chalk Paint & Outdoor Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Let’s make homemade sidewalk chalk.
- This sidewalk chalk board game is so much fun to play outside.
- Have you ever made homemade bathtub paint?
- These outdoor games for kids will have everyone breathing fresh air and giggling.
- This chalk paint recipe is so much fun!
- These rock painting ideas are so fun to make and hide for others.
- Outdoor art is way more fun than indoor art!
- Let’s draw a chalk race track for kids.
- Sidewalk chalk art ideas for kids.
- How to make a neighborhood chalk walk.
- Need more homemade paint ideas for kids? We have ’em!
How did your fizzing sidewalk paint turn out? Did the kids have a really good time playing outside?