Make a paint bomb and try out this exploding paint activity! Kids of all ages will have a blast with each paint bomb as they create a big and colorful paint splatter. This is definitely an outdoors painting activity, but it is so much fun and educational!
Exploding Paint Bomb Craft
We had a blast — literally — with this exploding paint bombs activity! With just a few things from your medicine cabinet, you can create a fun piece of artwork that your kids will love!
Exploding Paint Bombs Activity
This is definitely an outdoor art activity. You don’t want to get paint all over the place inside. Trust me, when the bombs explode, it can get messy! (We also love this version of this experiment! Very cool!)
Video: Paint Bombs- Exploding Art Activity For Kids
Supplies Needed To Make An Exploding Paint Bomb
Here’s what you need for this exploding paint bombs activity:
How To Make An Exploding Paint Bomb For This Fun Activity
Pour some paint to a film canister and add half of an Alka Seltzer tablet.
Put the lid on the canister and shake it well.
Place the paint bomb onto your paper with the lid facing down. Now, you just have to stand back and wait for it to explode! The Alka Seltzer will mix with the paint and build pressure inside the bottle until it releases.
Once the reaction happens, you can remove the lids and let the paint dry for a fun and unique piece of art.
Really cool, right?
Our Experience With Making and Using A Paint Bomb
This is not only a fun (outdoor) painting activity for kids, but an educational one too. It’s an outdoor craft and activity because quite frankly I did NOT want exploding paint in my house.
But we had a blast doing this! My kids made beautiful paintings for their room, but they also got to explore colors and chemical reactions as well. Any craft or activity that is fun and educational is an A+ in my book.
- Film canisters
- Alka Seltzer tablets
- Water-based paint (we used finger paint)
- Watercolor paper
- Pour some paint to a film canister and add half of an Alka Seltzer tablet.
- Put the lid on the canister and shake it well.
- Place the paint bomb onto your paper with the lid facing down. Now, you just have to stand back and wait for it to explode!
- Once the reaction happens, you can remove the lids and let the paint dry for a fun and unique piece of art.
More Fun Painting Crafts and Activities From Kids Activities Blog
- Check out this fizzy sidewalk paint! It’s fizzy, fun, and great for outside!
- Check out these 15 easy homemade paint recipes!
- Wow! There are 15 more homemade paint recipes WITH funky brushes!
- Colorful art using baking soda and vinegar will be your new favorite way to make art.
- You can make art in the bathtub with this bathtub paint for kids!
- Did you know you can make paint using flour?
How did your kids like this paint bomb activity? Did they make beautiful art?