Let’s make a jack-o-lantern night light for kids with this easy recycled item arts and craft project that works well for kids of all ages.
Halloween can be a little scary for kids and one of the solutions for fright is light. This simple-to-make Halloween night light is fun to make together and is guaranteed to assist in nighttime bravery.
Make a Halloween Night Light Craft
This fun and colorful Halloween craft for kids turns into a night light that they can use next to their bed. Or if you want to make them in different sizes, they could be a really cute lit centerpiece or Halloween decoration.
Make a whole set as Halloween luminaries. <–Check out this article for a lot of Halloween luminary ideas.
This article contains affiliate links.
- Orange Tissue Paper
- Black Construction Paper
- White School Glue
- LED Touch Night Light
- Paint Brush
- An empty plastic container
I love Halloween crafts that are so easy that kids can do themselves. This is definitely one of them. We started with an empty Ovaltine container and peeled off the label.
Any empty container that will let light shine through will work!
I cut orange tissue paper into triangles of various sizes – they don’t have to be perfect shapes or even close to perfect.
Next, we spread a glue over the blank canister and stuck on the tissue triangles. Once we had a layer completed, we brushed on another layer of glue and filled in the gaps with more orange shapes.
When the jar was completely covered with orange, we added three black construction paper triangles for 2 eyes and a nose and a squiggly, smily mouth cut out of paper as well.
One more layer of the glue/sealer and then we let it dry.
I added an LED tap light at the bottom of the night light and put the top on.
- Empty Ovaltine Can
- Orange Tissue Paper
- Black Tissue Paper
- Glue or Mod Podge That Dries Clear
- LED Light
- Paint Brush
- Remove the label from the container -- choose one from your recycling bin that is a shape that resembles a pumpkin.
- Cut the orange tissue paper into medium sized triangles.
- Cut eyes/nose/mouth shapes from the black tissue paper.
- Brush the glue on the container and then layer on the orange triangles until the entire surface is covered.
- Add a sealing coat of glue to the orange layer.
- Arrange the black shapes for jack-o-lantern eyes, nose and mouth.
- Let dry.
- Add a LED light in the bottom of the container -- we used a tap light that was safe to leave on overnight.
I am inspired to try other Halloween characters like Frankenstein! Wouldn't green tissue paper look adorable glowing in the night?
More Halloween Crafts & Activities from Kids Activities Blog
- Be green while having fun creating these recycled Halloween crafts.
- These Halloween cats crafts are “meow” than enough fun to make.
- These spooky Halloween crafts are so much fun to make.
- Make crafting a little easier with these Halloween craft kits.
- These ghost footprints are wonderfully ghoulish.
- Soar into the skies with this bat craft.
- This Halloween spider craft is creepy crawly!
- Get ready for Halloween with these super cute Halloween window cling.
- Fuel your child’s creative side with these Halloween art projects.
- Enjoy more recycled crafts with these Halloween soda bottle crafts.
- This play doh Halloween craft is a great way to “witch” someone a Happy Halloween.
- Enjoy more easy crafts!
How did your Halloween night light craft turn out? Did you make more than one? What item did you steal from the recycling bin to make the Halloween craft?