This Instant Pot Hamburger Helper recipe will take you right back to your childhood. It’s a creamy and cheesy one-pot dinner that will soon be a favorite of your kids, too. Hamburger Helper tastes so much better from scratch!
Nostalgic Comfort Food
There’s something about meals that we enjoyed as kids that hit the spot when we get to enjoy them again as adults. I remember my mom making Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper at least once a week as a quick dinner when we got home from school. The smell of tomato and onion filled our whole house. You would know exactly what was for dinner based on the smell coming from the kitchen. It was one of my all-time favorite meals.
Related: Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe
I thought it was perfect from a box until I made this homemade version. It has all the nostalgic flavors you remember but is bolder and creamier! Plus, since it’s made in the Instant Pot it is just as quick and easy as the store-bought.
How to Make Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
Since the Instant Pot has multiple cook settings, you will do all of your cooking in it. This includes browning the ground beef and cooking the macaroni. It saves you time cooking and cleaning up which is my favorite part. It also takes LESS time to cook pasta in an Instant Pot than it does to boil water and cook it on a stovetop. It’s a game-changer!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- canola or vegetable oil – These are great neutral oils for sautéing the onions and garlic.
- onion – This should be diced and no more than about 1 cup.
- ground beef – It’s classic with ground beef but ground turkey may be used if you prefer.
- garlic – Finely minced.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Worcestershire Sauce
- tomato paste
- beef broth
- elbow macaroni – Dry since it will be cooked in the beef broth in the Instant Pot.
- cheddar cheese – You can shred it yourself or buy it already shredded.
- Fresh parsley – Chopped as an optional garnish.
- Fresh parmesan cheese – Shredded as an optional garnish for your plate.
Directions For This Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper Recipe
Turn on your Instant Pot and set it to saute. Heat oil and then add onions and garlic. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until soft.
Add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Then, add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, and dry macaroni. Stir to combine.
Tip: Make sure that none of the beef is stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Change the setting of your Instant Pot to high cook and put on the lid. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Release the pressure carefully, remove the lid, and stir. The pasta should be cooked.
Stir in the cheddar cheese a little bit at a time until melted and combined.
Garnish with fresh parsley and parmesan then enjoy!
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How can I customize this Hamburger Helper for a picky eater
ou can customize Instant Pot Hamburger Helper by using different types of pasta or adding in additional vegetables such as diced tomatoes, chopped spinach, or frozen peas. You can also adjust the seasonings to suit your family’s taste.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time
You can make the recipe ahead of time and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave. While Instant Pot Hamburger Helper is best enjoyed fresh, if you’re meal prepping for the week, simply portion the leftovers into individual containers and store them in the fridge for up to four days.
More Instant Pot Recipes From Kids Activities Blog
- Have you ever made pork in the Instant Pot? This recipe for The Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork is a crowd-pleaser.
- One of my favorite meals is pasta and meatballs and it’s easier than ever to make with this Homemade Instant Pot Meatballs recipe.
- Try Simple Instant Pot Meatloaf for the most tender meatloaf you’ll ever eat!
- Another nostalgic meal that you can make in one pot is Simple Instant Pot Beef Stew. It’s packed with delicious flavors.
- For even more quick and easy meals, take a look at some of these Simple Instant Pot Recipes.
- You may like this Insta Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe!
- Convert your slow cooker recipes to your instant pot with this conversion chart!
- You have to try this baked sliders recipe!
If you made this Instant Pot Hamburger Helper recipe, let us know how you think it compares to the boxed version.
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium (1 cup) onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces (1 pound box) elbow macaroni, dry
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Fresh parsley, chopped, optional for serving
- Fresh parmesan cheese, shredded, optional for serving
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting and heat oil
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes
- Break up beef into pot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until no pink remains in beef
- Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, and macaroni
- Stir to combine. Be sure to scrape any cooked ground beef off the bottom.
- Set Instant Pot to High Pressure Cook, add lid and cook for 5 minutes
- When cycle is complete, release pressure, remove lid and stir well
- Stir in cheese a little at a time and serve immediately with fresh parsley or parmesan cheese if you like
- Store leftovers in refrigerator