Have you ever wondered about Poseidon facts or who he really was? Are you looking for fun and interesting facts about this Greek god of the sea?
Well, mythological friends, if you’re searching for the reason Poseidon was said to be the knower of many things or why he has a three-pronged spear, then read on! Grab your fellow classical period enthusiasts and your fun facts coloring sheets, and let’s get started!
FREE PRINTABLE Poseidon FACTS COLORING PAGES
One of the most interesting Greek myths about the Greek gods is that the goddess Athena and the Olympian god of the sea, Poseidon, wanted to look after the city of Athens, but only one could do it. The common tradition was to give the town a gift to let them decide which gift was more useful. Poseidon gave them a stream of salt water, and Athena gave them an olive tree. Because of this, the people chose Athena and named the city after her.
Isn’t that so cool?!
12 Poseidon fun FACTS
- Poseidon is one of the most important gods in Ancient Greece: god of the sea and waters, god of earthquakes. He was one of the Twelve Gods living on Mount Olympus in ancient Greek mythology and religion.
- Ancient Greeks called him Poseidon, but the Roman equivalent to Poseidon is Neptune.
- Poseidon was the son of major deities Chronos and Rhea, brother of Zeus, Pluto (Hades), Hestia, Hera, and Demeter.
- During the Trojan War, Poseidon fought on behalf of the Greeks because he held a grudge against Laomedon, the Trojan king.
- You can visit the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion, Greece, one of the most important monuments from Greece’s ancient times.
- Poseidon’s trident resembles a fisherman’s spear and represents his power over the sea.
- The winged horse Pegasus was the offspring of the god Poseidon and the gorgon Medusa.
- His sacred animals were the bull, horse and dolphin.
- He was also known as the Earth Shaker because it was believed he was the cause of such disasters, striking the Earth with his trident.
- Poseidon’s power was huge. He had superhuman strength, the capability to teleport and shapeshift, and the ability to create storms, earthquakes, floods, and droughts.
- In the movie the Little Mermaid, Poseidon is Ariel’s grandfather.
- He was the tamer of horses. It is believed that Poseidon invented horses when his sister Demeter asked him to create the world’s most beautiful animal.
This article contains affiliate links.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR POSEIDON FACTS COLORING SHEETS
These Poseidon facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter white paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
- Something to color with: favorite crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, watercolors…
- The printable Poseidon facts coloring sheets template pdf — see button below to download & print
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with Poseidon facts that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE Poseidon FACTS PDF FILE
more Poseidon fun facts
- After Poseidon’s father Cronus was overthrown, he and his brother Zeus and brother Hades drew lots for their shares of the world.
- Poseidon was the ruler of the sea, and Poseidon’s symbol was his trident. The trident of Poseidon represented his ability to control water.
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Enjoy our fun Capricorn facts coloring pages.
- Have a love of pizza? Here are some fun pizza facts coloring pages!
- These Mount Rushmore facts coloring pages are so much fun!
- These fun dolphin facts coloring pages are the cutest ever.
- Welcome spring with these 10 fun Easter facts coloring pages!
- Do you live on the coast? You’ll want these hurricane facts coloring pages!
- Grab these fun facts about Pisces for kids!
- Don’t miss out on these fun dog facts coloring pages!
- You have got to read these Athena fun facts next!
What was your favorite Poseidon fact?