Let’s learn some fun hummingbird facts! Yes, those tiny birds with a body weight that equals a penny! If you want to learn about this adorable migratory bird, download our printable PDF that includes 2 pages filled with hummingbird facts!
Related: Learn how to make a bird feeder
Fun Hummingbird Facts For Kids And Adults
Did you know that hummingbirds do not produce musical sounds? And that there are less than 100 albino hummingbirds? And that the Ruby-throated Hummingbird is the only species regularly seen over most of the eastern United States?
Whether you have a young one obsessed with these cute birds or you’re looking to keep them interested in biology, we’ve got just what you need!
- Hummingbirds are little birds with long beaks and fast wings.
- The bee hummingbird is the smallest bird in the world.
- The name hummingbird comes from their wings’ humming noise as they beat so fast.
- The hummingbird family includes 340 species and lives all the way in North America, crossing to South America’s southernmost tip.
- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backward.
- The Rufous Hummingbird has the longest migration of any hummingbird species. It migrates over 3000 miles from Alaska to southern Mexico.
- Known for their tiny size, the average hummingbird weighs 1 pound, while the smallest species weighs less than a dime.
- The number of times a hummingbird’s wings beat is different between species, and ranges from 720 to 5400 times per minute.
- Hummingbirds eat nectar from flowers and feeders, small insects, beetles, ants, gnats, mosquitoes, and wasps.
- Hummingbird’s heart beats 500-600 bpm. In comparison, the human’s average heart rate is 60-100 bpm.
Download Hummingbird Facts Printable PDF
SUPPLIES RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR Hummingbird FACTS COLORING PAGES
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
MORE PRINTABLE FACTS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG:
- Cheese facts are more interesting than you’d think!
- Ever wanted to learn what’s it like being in Australia? Check out these Australia facts.
- Our fun facts about the earth’s atmosphere are a great resource for science class.
- Get to know your Pisces friends with these cool Pisces facts.
- Don’t leave without coloring these facts about the Grand Canyon coloring pages.
- Do you live on the coast? You’ll want these hurricane facts coloring pages!
- Learning about the king of the jungle has never been so much fun.
- Get your French side out and learn about the Eiffel tower.
- Let’s learn 10 armadillo facts with free worksheets you can color as you learn!
What was your favorite hummingbird fact?