Let’s learn about tornados! We have printable tornado facts for kids that you can download, print, learn and color right now. Our printable facts about tornados include two pages filled with tornado pictures and interesting facts that kids of all ages will enjoy at home or in the classroom.
Free Printable Facts About Tornadoes for Kids
There are many interesting facts about tornadoes! Click the green button to download and print the tornado fun facts sheets now:
Related: Fun facts for kids
If you have ever wondered what is a tornado made from, where is the tri-state tornado area might be located, and other interesting things about this natural disaster phenomenon, we have 10 facts about a tornado for you!
10 interesting facts about tornadoes
- Tornadoes are formed when there is a change of wind direction, speed, and temperature during a big thunderstorm.
- Tornadoes are made up of really fast spinning tubes of air, forming a tube that touches the clouds up in the sky and the ground below.
- Tornadoes are also known as twisters, cyclones, and funnels.
- Tornadoes have very high winds, around 65 miles per hour, but they can reach speeds up to 300 miles per hour.
- Most tornadoes occur in Tornado Alley, an area in the U.S. that includes Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, South Dakota, Iowa, and Nebraska. but can happen anywhere in the world.
- The U.S. on average has around 1200 tornadoes every year, more than other countries.
- When a tornado is above water, it is called a waterspout.
- Tornadoes are measured using the Fujita Scale, which ranges from F0 tornadoes (minimal damage) to F5 tornadoes (cause big damage).
- The safest place to be during a tornado is underground, like a basement or cellar.
- Tornadoes generally only last a couple of minutes, but strong tornadoes can last for 15 minutes or longer.
This article contains affiliate links.
Download tornado facts coloring pages pdf
This coloring page is sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR TORNADO FACTS SHEETS
- Something to color with: favorite crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, water colors…
- The printed tornado facts coloring pages template pdf — see button above to download & print
Related: Best science projects for kids
More Fun Facts for Kids to Print
- Hurricane facts for kids
- Volcano facts for kids
- Ocean facts for kids
- Africa facts for kids
- Australia facts for kids
- Columbia facts for kids
- China facts for kids
- Cuba facts for kids
- Japan facts for kids
- Mexico facts for kids
- Rainforest facts for kids
- Earth’s atmosphere facts for kids
- Grand Canyon facts for kids
More Weather Activities & Earth Fun From Kids Activities Blog
- We have the best collection of coloring pages for kids and adults!
- Learn how to make a fire tornado at home with this fun experiment
- Or you can also watch this video to learn how to make a tornado in a jar
- We have the best Earth coloring pages!
- Check out these weather crafts for the whole family
- Here are tons of Earth day activities for kids of all ages
- Enjoy these Earth day printables any time of the year – it’s always a good day to celebrate Earth
What was your favorite tornado fact?