Today we have the best list of Martin Luther King Jr facts for kids! Our printable MLK facts for kids sheets work great at home or in the classroom. Kids will be inspired by Martin Luther King Jr and the amazing things that he accomplished.
Martin Luther King Jr Facts For Kids
Let’s learn about the life of Martin Luther King Jr., a brave Civil Rights leader who continues to inspire millions of people across the world, with our Martin Luther King Jr. facts. Click the green button to download the MLK facts for kids pages:
Related: Check out this Free Printable Martin Luther King Jr. coloring page.
Whether your little ones are learning about Black History Month, the Civil Rights Movement, or simply important figures, these MLK facts coloring pages will make learning fun.
Facts about Martin Luther King Jr.
- Martin Luther King Jr was born on January 15, 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- His birth name was Michael King, but his father later changed his name to Martin Luther King Jr.
- When Martin was growing up, life was hard for African Americans. He had his first experience of segregation at 6 years old, when he wasn’t allowed to play with his white friend because his friend’s father didn’t allow it.
- His first major role in the Civil Rights Movement came in 1955, when Rosa Parks, an African American lady, was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a bus. Martin, among other people in the community, helped to organize a boycott of the city’s buses. After 381 days of protest, the bus segregation rule was finally considered unconstitutional.
- Martin was a great believer in peaceful protests and was greatly inspired by activist Mahatma Gandhi.
- There are over 730 streets in the U.S. named after him.
- In 1963, Martin gave his famous “I have a Dream” speech at a rally named “March on Washington”, where over 250,000 people gathered to hear him and other activists.
- In October 1964, Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace prize. He was the youngest person to be awarded this prize.
- Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered for his efforts during the Civil Rights Movement and his dream that one day everyone will be treated as equals.
Bonus Martin Luther King Jr Facts For Kids
- Martin Luther King Jr is considered one of the greatest civil rights activists among all people.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day was first celebrated in 1986 and is national holiday and is celebrated every 3rd Monday of January.
- He gave his first major speech in 1967 to address the Vietnam war.
- He was sent to Birmingham jail in 1963 when he was trying to end segregation at lunch counters along with other peaceful protestors.
- Did you know that MLK received the congressional gold medal?
- In 1977 MLK was also given the Presidential medal of Freedom.
DOWNLOAD Martin Luther King Jr Facts Coloring Pages PDF FIle Here:
MORE HISTORY FACTS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Here are some Black History Month for kids ideas
- Juneteenth facts for kids
- Harriet Tubman facts for kids
- Kwanzaa facts for kids
- Rosa Parks facts for kids
- Muhammad Ali facts for kids
- Statue of Liberty facts for kids
- Thought for the day quotes for kids
- Random facts kids love
- Presidents height facts for kids
- 4th of July historical facts that also double as coloring pages
- The Johnny Appleseed Story with printable fact pages
- Check out these 4th of July historical facts that also double as coloring pages
More Martin Luther King Jr Activities
We have the best Martin Luther King Jr activities!
Which is your favorite Martin Luther King fact?