Let’s learn about the life of Martin Luther King Jr., a brave Civil Rights leader who continues to inspire millions of people across the world, with our Martin Luther King Jr. facts.
Not only did we put together a list of some of his accomplishments and life history, but we also turn them into printable Martin Luther King Jr. facts coloring pages. These coloring sheets are a great addition to your Civil Rights history class, or for some extra learning at home.
Whether your little ones are learning about Black History Month, the Civil Rights Movement, or simply important figures, these MLK facts coloring pages will make learning fun.
Download and print our PDF file below, grab some crayons, and watch the children learn with these engaging Martin Luther King coloring pages!
Facts about Martin Luther King Jr.
- Martin Luther King Jr was born on January 15, 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- His birth name was Michael King, but his father later changed his name to Martin Luther King Jr.
- When Martin was growing up, life was hard for African Americans. He had his first experience of segregation at 6 years old, when he wasn’t allowed to play with his white friend because his friend’s father didn’t allow it.
- His first major role in the Civil Rights Movement came in 1955, when Rosa Parks, an African American lady, was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a bus. Martin, among other people in the community, helped to organize a boycott of the city’s buses. After 381 days of protest, the bus segregation rule was finally considered unconstitutional.
- Martin was a great believer in peaceful protest and was greatly inspired by activist Mahatma Gandhi.
- There are over 730 streets in the U.S. named after him.
- In 1963, Martin gave his famous “I have a Dream” speech at a rally named “March on Washington”, where over 250,000 people gathered to hear him and other activists.
- In October 1964, Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace prize. He was the youngest person to be awarded this prize.
- Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered for his efforts during the Civil Rights Movement and his dream that one day everyone will be treated as equals.
DOWNLOAD Martin Luther King Jr Facts Coloring Pages
How to color these printable coloring pages:
Need coloring supplies? Here are some kid favorites:
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
More History Facts From Kids Activities Blog:
- Here are some Black History Month for kids of all ages
- Check out these 4th of July historical facts that also double as coloring pages
- So many facts about the Johnny Appleseed Story with printable fact pages
Which is your favorite Martin Luther King fact?