I am a little obsessed with beanpole garden tents after exploring this with my kids.
Creating a bean pole garden tent, covering or fort in your yard can help kids get really invested into gardening and create a special and shady space for them to play. You’re going to love these ideas for bean pole garden tents.
We first discovered the wonder of these garden tents on a visit to our local arboretum.
The tent structure covered with vines quickly became my children’s favorite spot. After all, it’s a tent made out of plants.
It’s whimsical, cute, and fun.
And bonus: these tents makes the perfect hideaway for kids of all ages.
This article contains affiliate links.
How to Make a Bean Pole Garden Structure
This is one of the easiest DIY garden projects ever.
Supplies Needed for Bean Pole Garden Structure
You can get a simple trellis kit at a garden center or we love these ones from Amazon:
- Simple lean-to trellis kit
- Wooden ladder trellis kit
- Flexible trellis netting kit
- And for those of you who can’t just make a little bean pole garden area, check out this Magidome geodesic dome builder…I think we need a bean pole yurt!
Or if you want to make it from scratch at home…
Best Plants for Climbing Bean Poles & Trellis
Next, choose what plants will grow up the tent. Pole bean seeds are a popular option. I know if we pick this option, my son will totally eat all the beans.
But if you and your kids prefer flowers, choose from among an array of annual climbing flowers too! The kids will totally get a kick out of seeing them grow up the poles.
Building Your Beanpole Garden Structure
Setup is easy peasy.
- First create the tent using the poles or sticks.
- Tie them together with the string.
- Add some soil around the base to stabilize the tent.
- Last but not least: plant those seeds around the base of the tent!
Great Gardening Project with Kids
This is a fabulous backyard lesson for kids too.
Not only can they get involved in building the tent, but they’ll also learn a ton about gardening as well as how plants grow.
Because, no, those seeds won’t grow overnight, but the garden tent will still be a magical hide out in the meantime!
More Gardening with Kids Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Make a kids dinosaur garden with this dinosaur garden kit
- We love this fairy garden kit for kids too!
- Here is a big list of things kids can do in the garden by age!
- These potato grow bags are soooo cool. It is like seeing underground.
- We have a ton of gardening ideas for kids!
- Indoor herb garden ideas!
- Caring for air plants tips and tricks…we love them!
- Not up to real plants? Check out this cute felt succulents craft!
- Your garden definitely needs a DIY garden gnome!
- Make a magical fairy garden…we have tons of fun garden ideas to do with kids!
- Gardening with kids ideas, tips and tricks.
- Gardening projects for kids has never been more fun.
- Make a hanging kokedama garden.
- Make a moon garden in your yard!
What kind of beanpole tent garden are you going to make at home?