Let’s make homemade glitter wrapping paper to wrap our gifts to place under the Christmas tree this holiday season. Glitter wrapping paper has its haters because a traditional glitter paper will shed glitter for weeks. This wrapping paper craft solves that glitter mess issue with mess-free glitter decorations for kids of all ages, even young kids like toddlers and preschoolers.
Homemade Glitter Wrapping Paper
Glitter. Some people love it, some hate it. When you choose to use glitter in a holiday craft, you have to resign yourself to finding glitter everywhere for weeks:
- Glitter on your clothes.
- Glitter on your floor.
- Glitter under your Christmas tree.
- Glitter is everywhere.
Related: How to Wrap a Present perfectly every time.
This article contains affiliate links.
Glitter Wrapping Paper Craft Using Glitter Dots
So when I found Crayola Glitter Dots, I realized I could combine two of my favorite things — glitter wrapping paper and kid-made gift wrap without finding glitter around the house for the rest of the year.
Related: We have even more super fun and shiny glitter crafts!
HOmemade Gift Wrap Decorated with Glitter
Glitter wrapping paper is so fun and festive! It’s seriously one of my favorite ways to wrap presents. And I adore kid-made wrapping paper. There is just something special about a present wrapped with paper a kid designed.
Supplies Needed for Glitter Gift Wrap Craft
- Plain paper as gift wrap base – smaller packages can use regular size paper or legal size paper, or make a roll with white craft paper or colored craft paper rolls
- Holiday Glitter Dots
- Scissors or preschool training scissors
Instructions for Making Homemade Glitter Gift Wrapping
We found it easiest to start with the size of paper you want to use for wrapping the gift or even easier to wrap the gift first with the plain paper.
For our wrapping paper, we used some butcher paper to cover the boxes. We didn’t want to waste any of our glitter dots on paper that wouldn’t be used (extra that you cut off when wrapping) so it made the most sense to wrap our presents, then add our glitter shapes to give them some bling!
To use Crayola Glitter Dots, just squish each dot to create glitter-infused shapes. Each dot contains a special coating so the glitter stays in the dot and not on your hands!
Once you cut out the shape and press it on, the Crayola Glitter Dots need about an hour to set and adhere to the surface of your project. When they are dry, the glitter stays in place so you don’t have the mess of traditional glitter.
What We Learned Using Glitter Dots for First Time
- We found that it was easier to squish the dots into a flat shape by rolling them out next to each other and using cookie cutters to cut out different designs.
- Glitter dots can be used on paper, wood, craft foam, felt and more.
- You can make your glitter shapes solid colors or a mix of colors. We layered silver glitter over the bottom red and green shape of a stocking to give it a more dimensional look.
Our Finished Kid-Made Wrapping Paper Craft
This really easy holiday craft for kids turns out amazingly well even when little kids are involved. Older kids have the freedom to make the patterns more detailed and add hand-drawn patterns as well. Younger kids can apply the Glitter Dots almost like squishy stickers!
The finished homemade gift wrap turned out great. I seriously can’t wait to put these presents under our Christmas tree!
More Information About Glitter Dots Crafts
There are quite a few different kinds of Crayola Glitter Dots sets that a wide variety of colors and patterns for year round crafting with kids. Here are some of our favorites for kids crafts:
- Glitter Dots Stencil Stickers Packs: Contains 42 dots, 12 plastic sticker stencils, 4 ticker sheets and 1 craft tool
- Glitter Dots Jewelry Making Kit, DIY Charm Bracelets & Necklaces – gifts for girls and boys ages 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 years old.
- More Glitter Dot Craft Kits for Kids
More Gift Wrap Fun & Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- Check out these easy gift wrapping hack and tip ideas.
- 12 days of Christmas gifts with printable gift tags.
- Money gift ideas that are creative and personalized.
- Give money balloons as a gift…this way to wrap a present is really fun!
- This snowman paper craft starts with a paper bag and works great for wrapping gifts!
- Use a jar to wrap a gift with these super easy mason jar gifts for the perfect gift in a jar idea.
How did your homemade glitter wrapping paper turn out? Did your kids love placing gifts under the tree wrapped with their own designer gift wrap?