Making DIY cleaning solution for your home might seem like a daunting task, but it is easy and fun to create your own household cleaners that have simple ingredients that you can pronounce and keep cleaning toxins away! Here are some of our favorite DIY household cleaners that are easy to make and clean well.
Today we are making some basic cleaning agents with simple ingredients that you likely already have around the house. Make one or make them all!
- Basic Cleaning Spray
- Disinfectant Cleaning Spray
- Floor Cleaner
- All Purpose Scrub
- Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Powdered Laundry Detergent
- Fabric Softener
This article affiliate links.
How to Make Basic Cleaning Spray
You only need a few items to make this basic cleaning spray. This homemade household cleaner is great and keeps up from harmful chemicals and toxins.
Ingredients Needed to Make a Basic Household Cleaner
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar*
- 1/2 cup of water
Vinegar is super versatile. We use vinegar in a number of household cleaners and recipes!
Directions to Make Basic Household Cleaning Solution
- Combine the vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Shake gently to combine the ingredients.
Basic Household Cleaning Spray Uses:
This easy cleaning solution can be used to clean almost anything. We use it to clean counters, windows, microwaves, etc.
How to Add a Custom Scent to Basic Household Cleaner
- Make your homemade household cleaner smell fantastic by adding lemons or orange peel to the spray. Let it sit for a couple of days so the vinegar adapts the new scent before using.
- A faster scent solution is to add a few drops of lemon or orange essential oils.
How to Make Your Own Disinfectant Cleaning Spray
We even have a recipe for a disinfectant household cleaner. You only need 1 ingredient, but be aware of certain items and surfaces this disinfectant cleaning solution will have to be diluted.
Ingredients Needed to Make Disinfectant Cleaning Solution
- Hydrogen peroxide
Directions to Make Homemade Disinfectant Spray
- Use hydrogen peroxide straight in a dark bottle with spray attachment.
- Spray as needed to disinfect while cleaning.
Keep this in a dark bottle as the light will break down the solution.
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaning Spray Uses:
It is great for cleaning toilets, cutting boards, glass, basically any surface you want to disinfect. Great to use even on your toothbrushes!
How to Make Homemade Floor Cleaner
Cleaning the floor is a lot of work and usually requires a heavy cleaner since the floors are where most of the grime builds up. You can use 4 ingredients to make a great DIY floor cleaner. Such a great homemade household cleaner.
Ingredients Needed to Make DIY Floor Cleaner
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dish soap
- 2 gallons of hot water
Directions for Homemade Floor Cleaner
- Add the dish soap last so your mop water is not too sudsy.
- Add a 1/2 cup of borax if you want this to be disinfectant.
- Mop away! No need to rinse your floors afterwards.
Homemade Floor Cleaner Uses:
Your DIY floor cleaner is perfect for mopping and doesn’t need to be rinsed. It is not recommended for use on natural stone.
Keep reading for more uses for Baking Soda – there are so many ways you can use it in your home!
Make an All Purpose Scrub
I use this in my bathtubs and showers. This all purpose scrub is the ultimate homemade household cleaner.
Ingredients Needed to Make All-Purpose Scrub Cleaner
- Baking Soda
- Splash of vinegar
Directions to Make All-Purpose Cleaning Scrub
- Create a paste with your baking soda and splash of vinegar or sprinkle baking soda on area and then do a quick vinegar spray on top.
- Scrub with a sponge or rag.
Homemade All Purpose Cleaning Scrub Uses:
Great for showers, oven tops, sinks, counters, etc.
How to Make Your Own Liquid Laundry Detergent
If you have sensitive skin and can’t handle strong scents and dyes then make your own liquid laundry detergent. This is a homemade household cleaner that I make monthly!
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Laundry Detergent Liquid
- 1/6th of a Fels Naptha Bar
- 1/4th cup of washing soda
- 1/2 cup of Borax
- Essential oils for scent
- large old laundry soap containers to store solution in
Directions to Make Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Grate the bar of soap and put it in a saucepan.
- Add 3 cups of water and heat till the soap melts.
- Add washing soda and borax, stir till dissolved.
- Pour two cups of water to your container and add the soap mixture.
- Stir or gently shake.
- Let the soap sit for 24 hours before use. It will be gel-like and will need to be shaken/stirred prior to use.
- To wash: use 1/2 cup of detergent per load. It works with cold or hot washes as well as in energy efficient machines. It will not suds up like other detergents, but it cleans wonderfully!
How to Make HOmemade Powder Laundry Detergent
Not a fan of liquid laundry detergent? That’s fine. You can make homemade powder laundry detergent. It works so well and will get your clothes nice and clean!
Ingredients Needed to Make Powder Laundry Detergent
- 2/3 cup of Fels Naptha Bar grated finely.
- 1/2 cup of washing soda
- 1/2 cup of borax
Instructions to Make Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder
- Grate soap.
- Mix with other ingredients.
- Mix well before each use.
- To do laundry: Use one tablespoon per load
How to Make Homemade Fabric Softener
We like soft clothes! And the best part is, this homemade fabric softener will help breakdown soap build up in your clothes too!
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Fabric Softener
Instructions to Make Fabric Softener at Home
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle along with several drops of your favorite essential oil for fresh scent.
- Continue washing as usual.
More Easy Cleaners & Cleaning Solutions from Kids Activities Blog
- Make your own carpet stain remover with 2 simple ingredients!
- How to use lemon essential oil for cleaning.
- Make your own carpet deodorizer powder.
- Best cleaning products for baby toys.
- How to make your own essential oil cleaner.
- You can learn how to make your own Clorox wipes!
- You have to check out these tiny home kits from Amazon!
- You can make your own hand sanitizer with this recipe!
- We have the best home organizing ideas!
- You have to check these disposable airplane seat and tray covers!
Which homemade cleaner are you going to try first? Is there a favorite homemade cleaning solution you love that we missed sharing?