I love citrus oils! One of my favorite oils is my lemon essential oil. It is really versatile, smells incredible, and has really helped me move toward making my own natural cleaning product.
The Young Living Lemon essential oil I use is pure and really inexpensive. It’s an oil you definitely want to keep handy around the house because there are so many ways you can use it – from laundry detergent, as a natural disinfectant, to lemon water and playdough, there are so many things you can do with lemon essential oil!
This article contains affiliate links.
Why use essential oil products for cleaning?
Since I changed from regular cleaning products to homemade cleaning products, I’ve noticed a significant difference. Especially when it comes to lemon essential oil as it is a common ingredient – you only need a couple of drops to create many different cleaning products. They are especially a good choice if you deal with skin irritation and allergies to ingredients found in household cleaning items. And who doesn’t love a lingering strong citrus scent ?! It always put me in a better mood!
These are just some of the benefits you get with just some drops of lemon essential oil for cleaning:
acts as a natural disinfectant for surfaces
lemon juice and lemon essential oils help eliminate mold
add it to a spray bottle of water to achieve a streak-free shine on metal surfaces
it has an antiseptic quality which slows down the growth of microorganisms
These are some health benefits of lemon essential oil – remember to consult your doctor before.
use on a diffuser of your choice for immune system support
when diffused, lemon essential oil enhances energy levels and mental clarity
use as a massage oil in combination with a carrier oil (like olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil) to help relieve fatigue and flu symptoms
in cosmetics, it helps balance oily skin to remove the look of greasy skin
it has astringent properties which can help to refine the complexion of the skin
it helps relieve sore throat, soothes colds, and helps reduce chest congestion.
Note that lemon essential oil, as well as vitamin C, can be phototoxic so avoid direct sunlight as sun exposure can enhance skin sensitivity. Make sure to do a patch test before using it on the skin, especially on sensitive areas, and always dilute it before use.
Make sure to read your safety information brochure and to keep your essential oils out of reach of children. These suggestions are not medical advice and you should consult your doctor if you notice any adverse reaction or if you suffer from a medical condition. Always practice essential oil safety to avoid potential dangers and skin irritation!
10 Perfect Ways To Clean With Lemon Essential Oil
1) Banish your carpet odors with this carpet powder made with just a few household ingredients and lemon. Your floors will be fresh and your house will smell great!
2) Get rust off of your knives by soaking them in a mixture of water and lemon oil! This works really well.
3) Clean out the gunk caked on in your microwave by filling a small bowl with water, a dash of vinegar, and a few drops of lemon oil. Microwave the mixture for about 2 minutes and the grime will come right off!
4) Use lemon to freshen up your dingy, mildew towels. Just add in your lemon essential oil with a borax, washing soda, and vinegar.
5) Make your sink shine by adding a few drops of lemon oil to your towel and rubbing it on a clean surface.
6) Clean your shower head by filling a baggie with vinegar and 3-5 drops of lemon oil and attach it with a rubber band for an hour.
7) Make a counter cleaning spray by adding 2 tablespoons of vinegar plus 10 drops of lemon oil in a spray bottle and fill the rest of the way with water.
8) Remove sticky residue from labels by rubbing with a few drops of lemon oil on a dry cloth or cotton ball.
9) Fill an ice mold with vinegar and add 2 drops of lemon oil to each cube. Freeze and run through the garbage disposal every time it starts to smell nasty.
10) Get your stinky shoes smelling great again by adding a few drops of lemon oil to a paper towel and inserting it inside the shoe. Let it sit overnight and they will smell fresh again!
WANT MORE CLEANING TIPS AND HACKS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG?
Want more life hacks to make your life easier? Look no further! We have over 100 to choose from!