This school year, help your kids master their before-school tasks with a printable morning routine chart and checklist.
This printable school morning checklist was inspired by the new book We Don’t Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins.
This super cute story follows Penelope Rex on her first day of school. She can’t wait to meet her classmates, but it’s hard to make human friends when they’re so darn delicious! That is until Penelope gets a taste of her own medicine and finds she may not be at the top of the food chain after all . . .
The lesson in this colorfully illustrated picture book is one that every kid should hear. And it’s told on a backdrop that all kids can relate to — how it feels to start at a new school and try to make new friends.
And in the midst of that struggle, kids also have a ton of brand new responsibilities to handle. That’s where our printable kids morning checklist comes in.
Printable Morning Checklist for Kids
Simply print your child’s favorite version of our checklist (there are three different dino-themed styles to remind kids of the message they read in We Don’t Eat Our Classmates).
Add this school morning checklist to a picture frame with a glass front, and your child can check off their tasks as they complete them with a dry-erase marker.
Just wipe off the marks at the end of the day, and your child is ready for a new adventure the next morning.
My six-year-old son loved how Penelope acted just like a dinosaur would in a room full of children — she ate them all! And I loved that she realized the consequences of her actions and eventually came to understand how her actions affected her classmates. I think that’s a lesson every school-aged child should hear.
We Don’t Eat Our Classmates is a fun story with a great message that will be read over and over again in our house. Similarly, I know our morning routine chart is going to get lots of use in the coming weeks and months.
MORE OF OUR FAVORITE BACK TO SCHOOL ACTIVITIES:
- Prepare for school by stocking up on these back to school essentials.
- This clever school clock that will make your days go so much smoother!
- No clue what to make for breakfast? Try some of these easy breakfast ideas for school days.
- Learn when it’s best to start back to school shopping.
- Create this apple craft to get excited for school!
- What to do if you have a scared child who is afraid of school.
- Laugh out loud with these funny school jokes!
- Make this adorable school photo frame or kids school picture frame with your kids – and display their first day of school pictures.
- Speaking of first day of school pics, try some of these adorable ideas with your kiddos!
- Picture day will be here before you know it! Browse these hairstyles to find the perfect picture day hair!
- If your kids don’t go back to school until after Labor Day, check out these back to school crafts or library coloring pages.
- Stumped about what to send to school in your child’s lunchbox? These back to school lunch ideas will help!
- You know you need these afternoon snack ideas because kids are always hungry (or hangry!) when they get home from school.
- Take your mind off dinner and use these easy back to school dinner ideas.