School lunch memories may make you cringe.
School lunch lady memories may make you cringe.
And then there is this story…
Kevin Holt knows what it means to fight. After serving in the army for over three decades, the veteran decided to dedicate the rest of his days to teaching special education in his city, Killeen, Texas.
But one early morning as he watched pre-k students line up for breakfast, his entire life mission changed for good.
That morning he watched a young girl hand her meal card over to the cafeteria worker, and when there wasn’t enough money to pay for the meal, the worker dumped the food in a trash can, in front of the hungry girl, and in front of the rest of her class.
Humiliated, the child returned to her seat, sobbing and being laughed at by the students around her.
Holt had seen cruelty around the world, but never expected to see it at home, especially in a place where kids are meant to learn.
Determined to make a difference, the veteran set out to change things – not just for this little girl, but for all the kids who were expected to try to learn on an empty stomach.
With the help of a petition, and his local government, Holt went into battle again – this time on his own soil…
Take a look!
Veteran makes a big difference because of mean lunch lady video
Want to see more great videos?
Here are Some Happy Lunch Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- How to make a super hero sandwich for lunch
- We have a whole bunch of vegetarian preschool lunch ideas that kids will actually eat!
- Oh these are so cute…printable lunchbox notes!
- This is extremely helpful to get out of a rut: list of lunch ideas that kids will not trade!
- Avoid the lunch lady altogether with these cute lunch boxes.
- These simple lunch ideas don’t take much time or effort to make.
- Have your kids tried the dino bites chicken nuggets?
- These school lunch hacks are pretty genius.
- Ways to make lunch fun for kids.
- Monster lunch box ideas you can adapt for what your kids love!
- Check out this list of bento supplies to make your child’s lunch more fun.
- And have some fun with lunch and math…sandwich fractions!
Hug someone who is awesome today in honor of this story…!