Are you looking for natural ways to treat fleas? Essential oils can be an ideal home remedy to take into consideration for flea control. Here are some tips for preventing fleas naturally.
This blog post contains affiliate links.
Preventing Fleas Naturally
No one likes flea bites! Whether your normal flea collars aren’t enough anymore, the active ingredients in your insect repellent are causing an allergic reaction, or you are simply trying to find a more natural way to get rid of fleas, essential oils can be the solution you are looking for. Making a natural flea repellent is easier than you’d think: you only need a small amount of essential oils (natural spider repellent), a carrier oil, and other simple ingredients, and you’ll be more than ready to prevent a pesky flea infestation.
Note: Never use pure essential oils as undiluted essential oils may cause unwanted side effects such as irritated skin or respiratory problems, especially on pets. Although essential oils have great benefits such as antiseptic properties and are a safer alternative than commercial products, you should always use caution with them. Only add a few drops of oil at a time, and even then, dilute them with a cup of water or carrier oil such as coconut oil before using the solution on your furry friend.
The good news is that when used with care, essential oils are a great alternative to commercial flea repellents. So if you to know what is the best way to create an essential oil flea repellent, keep reading!
These are the best essential oils for flea prevention & treatment.
Choosing the Right Essential Oils for Flea Treatment
If you’re planning to use essential oils to prevent fleas naturally, it’s important to put some thought into what essential oil you should use. You should do your research ahead of time since certain essential oils can have toxic effects on dogs and cats.
A few of the essential oils you will never want to apply topically or expose your cat or dog to include peppermint, tea tree, pine oil, or clove oil.
If you’re looking for an essential oil that is both safe for your pet, and that will get rid of fleas, you might consider using lavender oil. When diluted, it is one of the most effective oils for killing fleas that is also safe for dogs and cats. Orange essential oil is also an effective repellent and flea eliminator and is safe for dogs.
Other than lavender essential oil, you can also try:
It’s also worth noting that cats tend to be more sensitive when it comes to all essential oils. You might find that there are better natural treatments for your kitty. You should avoid applying essential oils topically to your cat.
Natural Options to Use Essential Oils to Treat Fleas
There are a number of ways to use essential oils to prevent fleas without using harsh chemicals. Here are some of the different ways you can use them:
- Use essential oils in your cleaning routine. In order to get rid of fleas, you need to rid your home of fleas – not just your pet! Therefore, you might consider using essential oils to clean areas where your pet sleeps throughout the day, as well as your own bedding. Once the fleas are gone, continuing this routine can help keep fleas at bay.
If you use essential oils when cleaning, it’s extremely important to make sure that you dilute your oils more than you normally would.
- Make a flea shampoo for your dog. You can add one drop of a carefully selected essential oil to your dog’s shampoo. If you have a larger dog, you might want to consider adding two drops.
- Brush essential oils into your dog’s fur. Create a 1% diluted solution with the essential oil of your choice and a carrier into water. Then spray it onto dog’s brush. Brush your dog’s coat to distribute the essential oil throughout their body and rid him of fleas. You can also try a flea comb if you have one.
These are just some tips for using essential oils to prevent fleas naturally! If you have any concerns, be sure to talk to your vet before using essential oils around your pet.
MORE TIPS FOR PET OWNERS
- Are you looking for a natural way to prevent your precious pooch from catching fleas? Then try these essential oils for fleas.
- Is clary sage safe for cats? and other common questions regarding pets and essential oils.
- This homemade carpet stain remover is the best way to get rid of our pets’ messes.
- If you don’t happen to have any pets at all, but want to become a pet owner – here is some advice on picking the animal that is best for you and your family!
Did you try these tips for preventing fleas using essential oils?