Looking for how to use lavender essential oils? Lavender essential oil is one of our favorite essential oils because there are so many lavender essential oil benefits and lavender oil uses.
What is Lavender Oil Good For?
Lavender essential oil is a natural remedy, considered to be the most versatile of all the essential oils. In fact, lavender oil one of the most popular essential oils because of its calming effect and antimicrobial properties.
For our family, lavender essential oil is the typical go-to oil for everything from homemade massage oil, getting better sleep, calming weighted belts, and even for minor skin irritations, to sneezing and itchy eyes.
This post contains affiliate links.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Note that this lavender oil information is not medical advice and essential oils, although they come with health benefits, are not medicine.
What is Lavender Essential Oil?
Essential oils are plant extracts, made by steaming or pressing various parts of a plant to capture the compounds that produce fragrance. This fragrance is used in aromatherapy – aromatherapy is the practice of using essential oils for therapeutic benefit, usually with an aromatherapy diffuser but there are different ways to use these oils:
- Lavender essential oil is the most universal oil and has a tranquil aroma that is soothing to the senses, as well as to the skin when applied topically.
- Lavender essential oil that is food grade (we use Young Living’s Vitality Line of food grade essential oils) can be taken internally. Lavender essential oil contains antioxidants, may provide immune support, may improve the quality of sleep, and can be used to add a floral flavor to your evening tea.
More Lavender Essential Oil Benefits
Lavendar is one of the most effective essential oils since it has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Lavender essential oils is also known for its analgesic properties, has detoxifying properties and is great to treat fungal infections.
Lavender essential oil is best known for its sedative effects – making it perfect for getting a good night’s sleep. Add some drops of essential oil to your diffuser and you’ll see how great you feel the next morning! Besides, its soothing properties help reduce anxiety levels.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses
Here are our favorite ways to use lavender essential oil in your daily routine.
1. Lavender Can Help Skin Irritation
Razor burn? Lavender is your friend!
- Apply lavender directly to the rash or mix 10 drops with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 cups of warm water, then sponge onto rash (add a drop or two of peppermint oil and tea tree oil as well).
- Once the water on the skin evaporates, it may help with itching relief. You can also mix with aloe vera or coconut oil to soothe the skin.
2. Lavender Essential Oil for Seasonal Ickiness
Lavender can help support seasonal respiratory health:
- Simply add 3 drops of lavender, 3 drops lemon, and 3 drops of peppermint oil into a diffuser or an essential oil roll-on bottle.
- You can also diffuse the mixture or apply it to the back of the neck.
3. Lavender Essential Oil for Sleep & Calming
Sleep? We all could use a lot more of that saving grace after a long day, right? Lavender is known for its calming properties and people find that it helps them to sleep easier at night.
- Put a drop or two of lavender on your pillow, apply to the pads of your big toes or get an essential oil diffuser for your room at bedtime.
- You can also diffuse it to help calm the atmosphere on difficult days when the kids are fighting or anyone is feeling restless.
Many people take a whiff of lavender straight from the bottle before going into difficult situations to help them feel more at ease. It is also a great oil to add to bath water for both children and adults.
4. Lavender to the Rescue of an Upset Stomach
Lavender essential oil used in a diffuser is effective in fighting nausea and stomach pain, and it’s also one of the best remedies for treating indigestion.
5. Natural sleep aid
Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your diffuser every night to get a better night’s sleep. Lavender oil is known for having properties that help kids and adults get a restful sleep.
Essential Oil Uses
Lavender essential oil is a great oil for mixing with other oils, but is also great alone.
- The key to using essential oils is to apply them frequently in small amounts. You will find that one drop goes a very long way, and that sometimes adding the essential oil to a carrier oil (such as coconut, jojoba, almond, or olive oil) will help spread the essential oil over larger portions of the body without minimizing its effectiveness.
- Another great way to use lavender is in a diffuser. I love how relaxing lavender makes me feel when I diffuse it in my office or bedroom. That way you get all the benefits lavender has to offer in every room!
If you were alone on an island with just one bottle of essential oil, lavender would be your best bet!
Want more essential oil tips? Check these ideas out from Kids Activities Blog:
- This sugar scrub for kids uses essential oils to add some extra benefits.
- Are you looking for the best essential oil for shoe odor? Here’s the answer!
- Here are some essential oil crafts for kids!
- And these are our favorite essential oil tips and tricks that you need to try.
- Learn how to use essential oils in bath in a safe way.
- We love using essential oils to help with focus and concentration.
What was your favorite way to use lavender essential oil? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments!