Four years ago we welcomed a Joybird sofa into a house we had rented while we built our dream home. This is the story of how that Joybird sofa started as a temporary solution and now is a big part of the final destination we now call home.
This article is part Joybird couch review and part story. Let me tell you how this Joybird sectional sofa ended up in our rental house in the first place…
Joybird Sectional Sofa
We had just downsized from a very large home on acreage to a small rental row home while waiting for our dream townhouse to be built. It was a move that cut our square footage by 2/3rds and nearly all of our large-scale furniture didn’t fit in the new smaller home.
I got an email from Joybird wondering if I would be interested in receiving a Joybird sofa in exchange for writing about it here on Kids Activities Blog. The timing couldn’t be more perfect since I needed some furniture ASAP that fit in the rental house.
My thought was that I would use the Joybird sectional sofa in the rental house and then buy something “I really liked” when we moved. The timing couldn’t be more perfect, so I said yes to the Joybird offer and started investigating what I had just gotten myself into…
Joybird Sofa Ordering Process
I popped over to the Joybird website and couldn’t have been more excited. I am obsessed with mid-century modern and all things clean, bright, and simple and that pretty much describes every single piece of furniture Joybird makes!
It was encouraging to read the many positive Joybird reviews online and gave me courage that this would turn out well.
Finding a Sectional Sofa that Fit the Room
I had measured our new living room in the rental house and found that to make the best use of space and get enough seating for the entire family, it would be best to do an L shaped sectional that had equal size sides and the most efficient length would be between 8′ & 8 1/2′.
When I visited the Joybird website I found that their corner sectional with 3 cushions measured about 8′ 4″ which would fit perfectly.
Now that I had the perfect sectional layout, I needed to choose the frame style.
After waffling between several amazing sectionals that all had clean lines and a modern feel, I settled on the Calhoun Armless Corner Sectional.
Isn’t it beautiful?
Now that I had my sectional selection, all I had to do was choose a fabric.
Selecting the Best Fabric for 3 boys & a dog
With Joybird, you can select any fabric with any frame along with the color of the legs. I needed a fabric that I liked and looked good in the room, but even more important was that it needed to be able to withstand three boys and a dog.
I requested the Joybird fabric samples and got strangely excited when they arrived because there was so much choice.
So many different types of fabrics, textures and beautiful sofa colors.
Durable Sofa Fabric
There was one set of fabric swatches that I was most excited about. They are called Safeguard Fabrics, and they are super soft and stain-resistant.
After going around and around in my head, I ended up choosing:
- Cody Pacific color Safeguard Fabric
- Coffee Bean colored leg
And then I placed my order.
Delivery of My Joybird Sectional Sofa
I received update emails about what was happening with my Joybird couch. For instance, the build progress series includes frame cutting, frame assembly, fabric cutting, sewing, upholstery, quality control, and then shipping.
I received a call scheduling the delivery a few days before it arrived and then a confirmation on the day. The truck arrived on time and the delivery guys carefully took three very large boxes off the truck and opened them in front of the house.
They carefully carried it into the rental house.
Once in the room, they attached the pieces together. The Joybird sectional pieces are held securely together with a metal latch.
I really liked the way it looked and functioned in our rental house.
And the sectional was big enough to hold an entire family or two sleeping boys without them even touching (which is extremely important).
How do I know this?
It wasn’t long before there was a sleeping boy comfortably stretched out on the sectional.
Joybird Sectional Sofa Moves with Us
OK, so my initial plan was to use the Joybird sofa in the rental house as a temporary solution until we finally moved into our new house.
And then the new house took 3 years to build.
Oh, and I fell in love with the Joybird sofa and decided it needed to come with us to the new house.
The size surprisingly was perfect for the new living room.
What I like about the Joybird Sofa
- The design of the sofa is really nice.
- The cushions stay on the sofa even with rough family use.
- It is easy to clean the cushions when needed. In our house this is a regular occurrence since the dog is given free access to the sofa.
- It looks and functions really well after 4 years of daily, family use which includes 3 teenage boys and Panda!
What I don’t like about the Joybird Sofa
- The cushion covers get twisted with use and so the seam lines are askew. If you open up the cushion with the zipper, you can manage to get it straight, but it takes some work.
- The cushions are a little bit bigger than the frame (or feel like they are) after years of wear. It may be that they can’t be pushed as close together as they used to be.
- The fabric that has been exposed to daily Texas sun is slightly faded. In the sofa’s defense, I can’t imagine finding a fabric that would hold us as well as this has and it isn’t very noticeable.
I have been incredibly happy with this sofa and returned to the Joybird website recently to see if they offer other items 4 years later…and they do!
In fact, they now have a full line of furniture that extends beyond the living room into dining rooms and bedrooms. They are unique pieces with a mid-century modern feel that would fit perfectly into my new house…
More Home Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Check out our interior design coloring pages that are perfect for adults…or kids who love design.
- Make a blanket fort with the furniture you have as a foundation.
- Check out this sensory friendly furniture…how cool is that?
- Kids can make their own cardboard furniture with the boxes leftover from your Joybird delivery!
- DIY dollhouse furniture building is fun and easier than you might think!
- Target outdoor furniture is something that we cycle through regularly!
- How to create a kids study space at home.
- We found the best backyard hammock ideas around. It is like a vacation at home.
- Living with small spaces like I was? We have these super smart small room organization ideas that can make your home feel and function much bigger.
- How I fit 3 kids in one room for many years before they were teenagers.
- Need some kids bed ideas? We have so many cool ones.
- How to build your own LEGO table from IKEA furniture.
Have you found a piece of furniture that you totally love? Do you have any experience with Joybird furniture?