You won’t believe how easy it is to make DIY Slap Bracelets. I mean, they seem a little magical with their self-closing ability with the flick of the wrist! But they can be made at home with a few household items.
This slap bracelet craft is better suited for older kids and this project does need adult supervision.
Remember slap bracelets from way back when? Now you can make your own (and get kids to help) with just a few supplies.
It’s really fun to make your own jewelry and this one is part toy.
This article contains affiliate links.
How to Make Homemade Slap Bracelets
- Retractable Measuring Tape (the kind you buy at the hardware store not the fabric store)
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- Decorative Duct Tape
Directions for Slap Bracelet Craft
Use the screw driver to remove the outer casing of your measuring tape. Cut off the metal end of the tape and then cut a piece that is 6 inches long. You’ll need a 6-inch piece for each slap bracelet that you want to make.
Use the scissors to round the edges of the piece of measuring tape.
Curl the tape back onto itself, bending it back so that it rolls with the numbered side up. You’ll start to feel it become more malleable. You’ll know it’s ready when you can slap it onto your wrist and it wraps around it!
Cut a piece of duct tape just larger than your bracelet. Lay it onto the numbered side of your measuring tape, and wrap it around the tape to the back side. Cut a smaller piece to cover the remaining bracelet on the underside.
You can vary the patterns, colors and designs of the duct tape to create a whole slap bracelet collection!
Now your bracelets are ready to use! Time to start slapping!
Slap Bracelets Make Great Gifts
These homemade slap bracelets are the perfect gift for a friend. Make them together as friendship bracelets! This is a fun (supervised) craft for a slumber party or tween birthday party.
Create a colorful collection to give to a relative or neighbor. And while you may think of kids for this gift, anyone who might have worn them in the 1990s.
Slap Bracelet Danger
Unfortunately, where childhood crazes go, the worried parents follow. When a four-year-old girl cut her finger on the sharp metal edges inside a cheap imitation slap bracelet, the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection recalled all knock-off Slap Wraps. After more reports of slap bracelets gone wild came pouring in, the bracelets were also banned by schools in the state of New York.-Bustle
So…please be careful. Cutting metal will leave sharp edges which is one of the reason we recommend only using patterned and colorful duct tape which can easily cover those sharp edges for safety.
- Retractable measuring tape (hardware store version)
- Decorative duct tape
- Flat head screw driver
- Using the screw driver, remove the casing from the retractable hardware store measuring tape and cut off the metal end with scissors.
- Cut the measuring tape into 6 inch segments - one for each slap bracelet you want to make.
- Round the edges of the 4 end corners with scissors.
- Curl the tape back onto itself, bending it so it rolls with the number side up. You will get to the point where you can slap it on your wrist (be careful!).
- Cut a piece of decorative duct tape just a little larger than your bracelet segment of measuring tape. Wrap it around covering all edges. Cut and fit additional pieces to completely cover the measuring tape.
- Time to test it out!
More DIY Bracelets You Can Make from Kids Activities Blog
- You have to make these really cool BFF bracelets! They are so cool and you can customize them so many ways.
- Check out these easy friendship bracelet patterns that kids can make.
- Make this cool LEGO bracelet!
- Check out how to bend craft sticks to make these super fun craft stick bracelets that are curved!
- Let’s make this cool paper straw bracelet.
- This is super easy and great for even younger kids…make pipe cleaner bracelets.
- These hairband bracelets are made from a common, but unusual material!
- This has to be one of the best childhood crafts, Cheerios bracelets!
- How to make rubber band bracelets. We love these!
- These bead bracelet ideas are recycled.
What colors and patterns did you use for your DIY slap bracelets?