I have an overwhelming fear of spiders. During Halloween it’s worse because of how amazingly real some fake spiders actually look look. For that reason, I am always on high alert. But I get it, spiders are cool and creepy at the same time so they are a must-have during Halloween. One thing I can do with them is make fun crafts. So we are partnering up today with Imperial Sugar to bring you this Watercolor Spider Webs Craft. My son and I made this together. It’s easy, fun, and the spiders are totally fake so no screaming here!
I really loved how this craft turned out. While you do end up making your own homemade “glue” this craft was a lot less messy than some. I suggest even covering your work area in newspaper so clean up is a breeze! This craft is easy for the little one’s to do and it’s inexpensive. I think it would certainly be a perfect craft for classrooms.
We actually got this idea here. Isn’t it so cute?
Supplies Needed to Make a Watercolor Spider Webs Craft:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- white paper
- paint brushes
- watercolors (orange, blue, purple and black work best)
- spider stickers (I found some hanging in the Halloween section at Walmart)
How to Make a Watercolor Spider Webs Craft:
- To make your glue you will need to mix together your flour, sugar, vegetable oil, and water in a large bowl. Stir well. Note: If the mixture is too thick you can add a little more water to thin it out.
- Allow your kids to paint spider webs onto the white paper using the homemade glue. Allow to dry for several hours (overnight works best).
- Once the glue is dried, it’s time to paint the entire picture using watercolors. Make sure to paint over the dried glue entirely so the webs will appear. Allow to dry.
- Once everything is completely dry, it’s time to add the spider stickers.
- Hang up and show off your creepy spider web craft!
It’s amazing just how many crafts you can make with sugar. If you are looking for more fun ideas make sure you check out the Imperial Sugar website. They have tons of Halloween craft ideas, along with ideas for the upcoming holidays!