I love having a fresh smelling home, but hate using chemical additives (like those plugins and scented candles) to achieve a fresh scent. This is a fun little home hint on how to make a chemical free air freshener that will keep your house smelling great, whenever you want to add a hint of a scent.
How to Freshen the Air in Your Home without Chemicals
All you need is a few drops of your favorite essential oils and a dropper to make your entire house smell fresh!
Related: How to make room smell good
When you replace the air filters in your home, simply squeeze a few drops of your favorite oil (or combinations of oils) onto the filter.
After you put the filter back in place and the air begins to circulate through it, the lovely scent from the oils will circulate through your home as well.
We love that this is a much safer and budget-friendly solution to using candles, or chemical-laden air fresheners throughout the house.
Related: More easy Home Hacks
The scent should last a few weeks, and you can always add another drop or two throughout the month, even when it’s not time to replace your filter.
This article contains affiliate links.
Our Favorite Essential Oils to Freshen the Air
We’re sharing a few of our favorite scent combinations here. Use two to three drops of each essential oil for the perfect combination! We have found that high quality oils have the longest lasting effect.
- Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint – This one is great for Christmastime!
- Eucalyptus and Tea Tree – We love how this one smells and how it always makes us feel like we can breathe a little deeper!
- Ginger, Cinnamon and Clove – Perfect for that “fresh cookies from the oven” smell we all crave!
- Orange and Lemon – Citrus fruit add just the right touch of fruitful sweet without being overwhelming.
- Rosemary and Lemon – This one will make your home smell clean and fresh all day long!
- Chamomile and Lavender – Soothing and subtle in scent this is just right for relaxing after a long day.
- Jasmine and Orange – For a gentle floral scent throughout your home.
- Pine, Cedar – Give your house that rustic woodsy feel to it, with this wonderful combination.
- Lavender, Geranium and Lemon – We love that this one gives the perfect combination of citrus and fresh flowers!
- Rosemary, Lemon, Peppermint and Sage – The longest combination but worth mentioning because of the fresh scent this one gives your home!
The fun thing about this home tip is that you can constantly play around with your own combinations. You can switch scents with the seasons, and let something fresh awaken your senses every few weeks and each time the air turns on!
Are chemical free air fresheners effective?
Yes, chemical-free air fresheners can be effective in freshening the air and getting rid of unpleasant odors. They use natural ingredients like essential oils or herbs to make the air smell nice. While they may not be as strong as chemical air fresheners from a can, they still work well to make your home smell better in a more natural way. It’s a good choice if you want to avoid synthetic chemicals and have a fresher-smelling home.
Are chemical free air fresheners safter for kids and pets?
Yes, chemical-free air fresheners are generally considered safer for kids and pets compared to air fresheners with chemicals. Here are some reasons why:
- No Harmful Chemicals: Chemical-free air fresheners use natural ingredients like essential oils or plant extracts instead of synthetic chemicals that can be harsh and irritate sensitive individuals.
- Reduced Risk of Allergies: Natural ingredients in chemical-free air fresheners are less likely to trigger allergies or sensitivities in kids and pets, making them a safer choice for households with individuals prone to allergies.
- Gentler Fragrances: Chemical-free air fresheners often have milder and more gentle fragrances compared to those with artificial scents, perfect for those who don’t enjoy strong smells, like kids, pets, or my husband.
- Avoiding Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Chemical-based air fresheners can release volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can negatively affect indoor air quality. Chemical-free alternatives help minimize VOC exposure and promote a healthier environment.
While chemical-free air fresheners are generally considered safer, it’s important to remember that individual sensitivities can vary. It’s always a good idea to use any air freshener in moderation to observe how kids and pets respond.
How do I replace can air freshener with a natural option?
There are a lot of ways to minimize the use of harsh chemicals in your home. We also really like this homemade DIY air freshener spray recipe.
If you are looking to replace other harsh chemicals in your home, you can easily replace your cleaning supplies with natural recipes too.https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/70754/30-natural-cleaning-recipes-using-essential-oils/
EASY WAY TO KEEP YOUR HOME SMELLING AMAZING
- Make your Christmas tree smell amazing and full of holiday scents with this DIY scented ornament. This simple craft project is a great way to get in the holiday spirit and make your home smell good.
- We have even more DIY scented ornaments to make your home smell amazing. Fill them with vanilla bean, cinnamon, whatever Christmas scent is your favorite.
- Fill your home with the smell of Christmas…it is easy!
- Keep your home smelling great after you clean! All you need is a spray bottle, your favorite essential oils, and a couple other ingredients.
MORE WAYS TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS
- How to remove smell from shoes with essential oils
- Essential oils for tummy troubles
- Essential oils to support breast feeding
- Essential oils for carpet stains
- Essential oils for getting rid of fleas naturally
Do you have a favorite essential oil combination you are going to try in your home?
Have you ever made a DIY air freshener for your house?