These science projects for preschoolers are easy to set up and use things that you already have around the house or preschool classroom. They are simple to put together and fun to watch preschoolers learn science hands-on with curiosity!
These preschool science experiments are perfect for the smallest scientists. Engage little ones curious nature of “why” and use these hands on activities to explain. It is never too early to explore and investigate!
Simple Preschool Science Experiments
Preschoolers are naturally curious about the world around them and fascinated by what they see and feel. Kids ages 3-5 love to ask WHY. This makes science activities one of the best ways to play and learn.
While preschool science lesson plans and preschool science curriculum is loose and play-based, the things that kids can learn are concrete and foundational. Preschoolers can easily learn the steps of the scientific method as part of science conversation. They will love making hypotheses and then using the tools around them to see if they were right.
See our scientific method for kids worksheet and coloring pages.
Preschool Science Curriculum
When deciding what type of science activities and simple science experiments to bring into preschool at home or in the classroom, consider the following guidelines for preschool science standards:
- Physical Science – kids learn that objects have properties and there is a cause-effect relationship.
- Life Science – living things have basic needs and develop in predictable patterns.
- Earth Science – events such as night, day, weather and seasons have patterns.
This article contains affiliate links.
Play-Based Preschool Science Projects
Play with Surface Tension
Introduce a lesson on surface tension by making color changing milk. This is a kid favorite!
Easy Egg Experiment
This simple naked egg experiment uses a secret ingredient to remove an egg shell from the egg, keeping it contained in the membrane.
The Telephone Project
Bringing back a classic, this experiment with sound waves and show your kids how they can travel through a string.
Learning About Atmosphere
Teach kids earth’s atmosphere layers with this hands on experiment to create the 5 layers of the atmosphere right in your kitchen.
Phases of the Moon Exploration
Make a Sugar Rainbow
Here is a simple way to learn about water density and also make a really pretty rainbow! Everything you need for this is right in your kitchen cabinets.
Water Absorption Experiment
Talk about water absorption with your kids and experiment by taking items around your house and placing them in water. What absorbs the water and what does not?
Make Butter Together
Kids love this fun experiment to make butter because they have something to taste at the end!
Physics with Pasta
Just like the bead fountain in the video above, in our Mould Effect experiment, the pasta self-siphons in a spectacular effect!
Earth Worm Fun
Learn about Earth Worms and how they help your garden by creating your own miniature habitat for them to live. Here are some of our favorites:
- Wild Science Worm Farm Learning Science Kit
- Nature Gift Store Kids Worm Farm Observation Kit Shipped with Live Worms
Air Pressure Activity for Preschoolers
In this fun easy science project, preschoolers will learn what is air pressure.
Talk about germs with your preschoolers and the importance of keeping things clean with this germ growing experiment.
Make a Balloon Rocket
With these simple steps to make a balloon rocket, kids will be playing while absorbing science knowledge!
The 101 Coolest Simple Science Experiments
If you are looking for even more fun science projects to do with preschoolers or older kids, check out our book – The 101 Coolest Simple Science Experiments. There are so many ways to play with science inside!
More Science for Kids from Kids Activities Blog
- Check out all these fun science fair projects and then here is help making that science fair board.
- These science games for kids will have you playing with scientific principles.
- We love all these science activities for kids and think you will too!
- These Halloween science experiments might be a little spooky…boo!
- If you love magnet experiments, you will love making magnetic mud.
- Easy and not-too-dangerous exploding science experiments for kids.
- And we have found some of the best science toys for kids.
- Let’s have some fun with more science experiments for kids!
- Check out all the fun STEM activities for kids.
What is your favorite preschool science project? Did your preschoolers have fun with the science activities?