These science projects for preschoolers are easy to set up and use things that you already have around the house or preschool classroom. These preschool science activities are simple to put together and fun to watch kids learn science hands-on with curiosity! Learning through preschool science experiments engages kids curious nature of “why”. We believe it is never too early to explore science.
Simple Science Experiments for Preschoolers
Preschoolers are naturally curious about the world around them and fascinated by what they see and feel. Kids ages 3-5 love to ask WHY. This makes science activities one of the best ways to play and learn.
While preschool science lesson plans and preschool science curriculum is loose and play-based, the things that kids can learn are concrete and foundational.
- Preschoolers can easily learn the steps of the scientific method as part of science conversation.
- Younger kids love making hypotheses and then using the tools around them to see if they were right.
- See our scientific method for kids worksheet and coloring pages.
This article contains affiliate links.
Related: Egg Test: Spin, to Find Out if an Egg is Raw or Boiled.
Play Based Science Projects for Preschoolers
1. Play with Surface Tension
Introduce a lesson on surface tension by making color changing milk. This is a kid favorite!
Related: More surface tension for kids ideas
2. Easy Egg Experiment
This simple naked egg experiment uses a secret ingredient to remove an egg shell from the egg, keeping it contained in the membrane.
3. The Telephone Project
Bringing back a classic, this experiment with sound waves and show your kids how they can travel through a string.
4. Learning About Atmosphere
Teach kids earth’s atmosphere layers with this hands on experiment to create the 5 layers of the atmosphere right in your kitchen.
5. Phases of the Moon Exploration
6. Make a Sugar Rainbow
Here is a simple way to learn about water density and also make a really pretty rainbow! Everything you need for this is right in your kitchen cabinets.
7. Water Absorption Experiment
Talk about water absorption with your kids and experiment by taking items around your house and placing them in water. What absorbs the water and what does not?
8. Make Butter Together
Kids love this fun experiment to make butter because they have something to taste at the end!
9. Physics with Pasta
Just like the bead fountain in the video above, in our Mould Effect experiment, the pasta self-siphons in a spectacular effect!
10. Earth Worm Fun
Learn about Earth Worms and how they help your garden by creating your own miniature habitat for them to live. Here are some of our favorites:
- Wild Science Worm Farm Learning Science Kit
- Nature Gift Store Kids Worm Farm Observation Kit Shipped with Live Worms
11. Air Pressure Activity for Preschoolers
In this fun easy science project, preschoolers will learn what is air pressure.
12. Germ Experiment
Talk about germs with your preschoolers and the importance of keeping things clean with this germ growing experiment.
13. Make a Balloon Rocket
With these simple steps to make a balloon rocket, kids will be playing while absorbing science knowledge!
Preschool Science Activities Curriculum
When deciding what type of science activities and simple science experiments to bring into preschool at home or in the classroom, consider the following guidelines for preschool science standards:
- Physical Science – kids learn that objects have properties and there is a cause-effect relationship.
- Life Science – living things have basic needs and develop in predictable patterns.
- Earth Science – events such as night, day, weather and seasons have patterns.
101 Coolest Preschool Science Experiments Book
If you are looking for even more fun science projects to do with preschoolers or older kids, check out our book – The 101 Coolest Simple Science Experiments. There are so many ways to play with science inside!
Science for Preschoolers FAQ
A preschool science curriculum centers around the 3 basic areas of science: life science, physical science and earth science.
1. Introduce kids to basic tools of science: ruler, measuring cups, scale, magnifying glass, mirrors, prisms, test tubes, binoculars
2. Encourage curiosity and question asking with time and space for self-exploration and discovery.
3. Learn together without worrying about a “right answer”.
The good news is that the preschool science curriculum is free-form and more about observation and exploration than concrete learning blocks. A positive attitude about science and a child’s innate curiosity in preschool sets them up for a good relationship with science learning in the future.
More Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Check out all these fun science fair projects and then here is help making that science fair board.
- These science games for kids will have you playing with scientific principles.
- We love all these science activities for kids and think you will too!
- These Halloween science experiments might be a little spooky…boo!
- If you love magnet experiments, you will love making magnetic mud.
- Easy and not-too-dangerous exploding science experiments for kids.
- And we have found some of the best science toys for kids.
- Let’s have some fun with more science experiments for kids!
- Check out all the fun STEM activities for kids.
Leave a comment – What is your favorite preschool science project? Did your preschoolers have fun with the science activities?